20: a Flower fault

"That wasn't too bad.." Spinel muttered, looking down at the paint stains that covered her gloves. "Wish it wasn't so messy though." She grimaced, unconsciously wiping her hands on her one-piece to rid them of the multi-colored blotches on her gloves.

"One of the prices to pay for artistry!" You chirped, pulling out a packet of wet wipes from your gem and handing one off to spinel. "Of course that's only with stuff like paint n' markers. Crayons and pencils are much cleaner!"

"Whateva those are." Spinel smirked, wiping her hands off, and tossing the wipe out in a nearby trash can. "So what's next on the agenda?"

You hummed, looking back and forth for more to do. Your gaze then fell onto a small house-like structure seemingly entirely made of glass. "Oh?" For whatever reason, you weren't familiar with it. Absentmindedly, you walked over to the building, and peeked your head into the doorless entrance, and was almost instantly greeted to a nearly overwhelmingly sweet fragrance tickling your nose. Inside this building was numerous types of flowers of all colors, decorating every nook and cranny of the enclosure; even hung in pots on the pipes over head. Your eyes filled with stars at the beautiful sight, and let out a happy gasp. "Oh wow!"

Spinel pokes her head in. "What's this now?"

"Lookie here!" You smiled up at the pink gem and gestured into the grand place with a hand. "Isn't this a pretty sight?"

Spinel takes a brief gander inside, feeling her eyes widen at the array of flowers decorating the inside of the enclosure.

She could almost swear she felt her pupils shrink when she spotted specific thin, red petaled flowers and round petaled blue flowers.

"So, whatcha think?" You smiled up at her. "Wanna try whatever this class is?"

Spinel looked down at you, whose face was positively beaming in excitement and childish elation.

...it was sickening.

Almost instantly, her face fell. A cold, bitter expression darkened her face, and there was a nearly visible grimace on her lips. "Uh... yeah." Her voice was void of enthusiasm, causing your own smile to drop from the sudden shift in moods. "I'm gonna have to make a pass on this one." You shrank slightly beneath her hopefully unintentional but very tense glower at you. "I-is there something wrong, miss spinel...?"

Spinel's eyes darkened as a very grim smirk curled her mouth, as she let out a soft, exasperated chuckle in her throat. So much ignorant bliss. "Eheh... After staring at them for the last 6,000 years..." She stared at you unblinkingly. "...what makes ya think... I wanna be anywhere around flowers?"

It took a few seconds, but after a moment, your face dropped once you realized your error of bringing her here.  "O-Oh." Was all you could utter. GAH! (Name), you fool! Flowers, are you serious!? "I... I uhm..." Unintelligble syllables fell out of your mouth as you tried to find the correct words to rectify the now tense, awkward air that has manifested. "I-I'm sorry- I didn't mean- I-" You shook your head pressed your hands into her chest, ready to usher her out. "Le-Let's just get back home and-"

"Ah! The (name) spinel!"

You jolted at a loud, mildly nasaly voice suddenly calling out to you. What the-? Before you could even register who the voice could belong to, a pair of small green arms wrap around you, pulling you into a tight hug. With a grunt, you turned your head to find Peridot, with a wide smile plastered across her face. "I thought I'd never see you again!"

You smiled unevenly at the green gem, letting out a sheepish giggle. "He-Hey... Peridot." You greeted with forced cheeriness.

"Oh..." Spinel narrowed her eyes, as her expression soured further. There was a faint trace of envy in her eyes as she crossed her arms. "Another friend of yours, I presume?"

"You could say that..." you smiled awkwardly, rubbing the back of your head uneasily. "Precisely!" Peridot snickered, as she wrapped her arm around your back and pulled you into a side hug. "Even more than that! She's saved us multiple times in the past!"

Spinel lifted her brow subtly, now with a subtle look of begrudging interest. "Saved? What do ya mean saved?"

Your face became pale, your smile starting to strain against the lack of joy you were experiencing. "Uhm-"

"I mean she saved us! She saved our forms!" Peridot smiled, completely oblivious to your discomfort. "Saved us from all kinds of tight situations!"

"Tight situations?" Spinel squinted in suspicion. "What kind of tight situations??"

"Oh yeah! I know you!" Another gem, a blue lace agate spoke up, setting aside her watering can aside to point at you with a big dopey smile. "Yeah! Whenever an agate or commander was in a bad mood, you'd always be the one to get them to relax!"

As the discussion dragged on, you became more and more tensed as time went on. Especially when spinel just couldn't seem to stop her questioning. "Did she...?"

"Ah, it-it really doesn't really matter!" You exclaimed, gently prying Peridot's arm off you with forced a chuckle, which sounded more like a cough. "Just your typical spinel stuff! Completely unimportant!"

Peridot looked astonished. "Unimportant? All of the things you did just to keep those cranky era 1 commanders and managers off our backs? It's very important, my elastic (color) friend!" Peridot took your hand into both of hers, with her signature laugh. "Why, she's even managed to bring jasper's temper down to acceptable levels! Even at the cost of her own well being!"

Spinel's brows lifted, the look of bitter envy being replaced with wide-eyed alarm. "The cost of her own what now?"

"DAHAHA! Th-Tha-That'll be enough for now!" You broke in, your voice raised slightly over Spinel's question. "It was great seein' ya, miss peri, but me and spinel oughta go now." You pressed your hands against spinel and started to usher her out, which caused her to stumble back from the force of your unsolicited push. "Hey, watch the merchandise, pal!"

"Leaving so soon?" Peridot tilted her head, looking disappointed. "But you just got here!"

"Y-yeah, sorry, but it's starting to get late n' we really should be getting ready for lunch!" You reasoned through a strained smile.

"But we don't need to eat..?" A random nephrite spoke up with a tilt of her head. An Ameythyst stood from her plant, offering a friendly smile. "C'mon, why don't you tell us about the Holly blue was in a mood, and you took one for the team?"

"I-I'd really rather not..." you uttered through clenched teeth.

Blue lace tilted her head. "Well, what about the time you saved nephrite from hessonite's rage?"

"Well--"

Before you could decline, other students started to inch closer.

"Or when emerald was upset when someone took her ship?"

"Ooh ooh! What about that time you were able to withstand one of Pink diamond's tantrums?"

Spinel stiffened, her alarm turning into shock. "Tantrums??"

"I-I'd REEEALLY rather not..." you hissed, feeling hot pricks sting at your body as you tried to force spinel out of there. "Now please just let us-"

Then you felt a hand on your back, and you felt a sudden pain ignite in your teeth. "Come on, can you at least t-"

Stars damn it, I SAID