𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 - 𝘌𝘷𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘢

• • •

He is not here

He is not here.

As he said, he would be. Like he promised.

True to his word, Sloan made a phone call and got me booked in for the first scan to double-check everything. I haven't seen him since I stormed out of his truck last week. What he said hurt and there was nothing he could do to take it back. It was clear that was what he thought and if he told me otherwise, he would be lying.

All I got was a note through my locker of the time and date. In return, I left the tests and a small pot of pills in his. That was the only interaction we had taken part in. Maybe I was wrong to assume that he would come as well.

"Miss Evanna Hill?"

My head snaps up from looking at my phone like I was waiting for him to call. I don't know why, as he doesn't have my number. The lady is dressed in a white coat and holds a clipboard to her chest. Her smile is warm and welcoming and should put me at ease, but it doesn't.

"Yes. Could we wait a minute? I'm just waiting for someone?" I ask, smiling slightly.

She nods in understanding. "Of course. I'll come back in a minute."

"Thank you," I murmur and watch as she walks away.

My eyes scan the waiting room that's deserted except for 2 others who look to be more pregnant than me. Their bumps are round and I have to question if I'll get that big.

"First time?" Is asked from across the room.

I nod my head with a smile, watching as she places a hand on top of her bump.

She smiles condescendingly. "I can tell."

My smile drops. What is that supposed to mean? God, Sloan, where are you? Avoiding her inquisitive eyes, I let my eyes roam the walls that are full of posters of information. Things to expect, numbers to call and groups to join.

This is a lot.

"Evanna? Are you ready now?"

"2 more minutes. Please?"

Nothing more is said and I can feel the eyes of that lady on me. This is so embarrassing. Why should it be, though? I'm here to check on my baby, just like they are. I need to stop thinking.

Movement from the corner of my eyes jolts my attention towards the shadows. But it's not him. The other mom smiles up at her husband if the ring on her finger says anything. His hand smoothes over her bump as he kisses her forehead before sitting down next to her.