Chapter 28 - Haru

- Third POV -

Mizuki, Aang and the two Water Tribe siblings are in a forest. They're on a raised, grassy plateau. A gentle stream is running out beneath it. Katara's folding one of their sleeping blankets while Mizuki is bending some water into her water pouch. Aang's lying on the root of a tree. Momo screeches and lands on the plateau as Sokka approaches.

"Great, you're back!" Beams Aang happily. Aang leaps off the root with his airbending, landing besides Katara and Mizuki as Sokka digs in his bag.

"What's for dinner?" Asks Aang curiously.

"We've got a few options: round nuts and some kind of oval shaped nuts? And some rock-shaped nuts, that might just be rocks. Dig in!" Says Sokka while digging in his bag filled with 'nuts'. Mizuki, Aang and Katara give each other a concerned look.

"Seriously, what else you got?" Asks Katara while Momo coos and sniffs the rock-shaped nut, before taking it with one of his paws and slapping it against a stone twice. Attempting to break it, he takes it with both paws and slams it down on the big rock. The moment he does so the entire earth quakes, making Momo shriek and his hair stands up.

"What was that?" Asks Sokka alarmed. Momo, believing he may have caused the quake, cautiously drops the rock to the ground in test. The quake returns, causing Momo to leap away.

"It's coming from over there!" Shouts Aang as he quickly runs towards the sound. Katara follows him immediately.

"Shouldn't we run away from huge booms? Not towards them?" Says Sokka annoyed as he glances at Mizuki who shrugs and starts following the others.

❀❀❀

The four teenagers, joined by Momo, hide behind a fallen tree and spy on a guy bending boulders into the air and punching them into the side of the ravine.

"An earthbender!" Exclaims Katara.

"Let's go meet him!" Beams Aang happily.

"He looks dangerous, so we better approach cautiously" Suggests Sokka.

"Sokka's right guys, we shouldn't-" Before Mizuki can finish her sentence Katara is already standing a few feet in front of them, excitedly addressing the earthbender.

"Hello there! I'm Katara! What's your name?" Says Katara in a happy tone. The teenager gasps in surprise, dropping the boulder he was bending to the ground. He flees quickly, bringing down an avalanche of boulders with his bending to block his exit. Sokka, Mizuki and Aang approach Katara.

"Nice to meet you!" Shouts Aang.

"I just wanted to say hi" Says Katara who's slightly upset.

"Don't take it too personal Katara" Says Mizuki in an attempt to comfort her.

"Hey! That guy's gotta be running somewhere, maybe we're near a village? And I bet that village has a market!" Beams Aang.

"Which means no nuts for dinner!" Exclaims Katara. Katara and Aang start chasing after the teenager.

"Hey! I worked hard to get those nuts!" Shouts Sokka while Mizuki chuckles.

"Come on, let's go" Shouted Mizuki as she turned around.

"I'm coming" Answered Sokka as he follows Mizuki.

❀❀❀

Katara, Mizuki and Sokka stroll through the mining village's streets while Aang speaks with a shopkeeper under a terrace.

"Great hat! I'll trade you some nuts for it" Says Aang as he tries on the hat. Katara notices the teenager from before entering a shop.

"Hey..." She mutters in a confused tone. The boy quickly enters the wooden building and approaches a woman.