第四章 : Turmoil (Eons of Misery I)

??? , japan

1912 , taisho era

_______________

[ more of a filler chapter but it's important, I promise. ]

Kagaya's clarifications just prove your thoughts that you are sent to another world. Though as much as you tried not to think about it, your thoughts immediately drifted to the Traveler.

Is this how they felt when they stepped foot in another world? Clueless and cautious to the world they've set foot in? How did they adapt so quickly in a world that isn't theirs?

Your tight grip on the sleeves of your kimono didn't go unnoticed by the man in front of you as he quietly observed you from head to toe. He can sense your frustration, that much is evident on the crease of your forehead and your subtle actions as your eyes drifted from side to side. He may be no god but he knows someone as strong as Muzan when he sees one.

The air was thick as you stood in your place, pondering on different possibilities that happened upon arrival. If they were to attack you, you can all kill them without a sweat as they've failed to acknowledge you or recognize you as one of the seven archons. Though you crossed out that possibility as you were in a different world, of course, their rules and logics greatly differ from yours.

As you finally regained your emotions and thoughts, your gaze went over to the 9 mortals sitting in front of the podium all ready and waiting for their master's command.

'What a bunch of dogs,' a part of you sneered in your brain, 'Licking their master's feet as if they depended on it.'

'Hush,' you hissed, 'We do not meddle with mortal lives such as theirs. We are in their world, not ours.'

Then the voice diminished, leaving your head empty and void.

In a way, these people are similar to you, albeit with different goals that will greatly benefit them for their lives compared to your own as their lives differ greatly from yours; fragile, vulnerable, limited.

You could only scoff at the thought, despite your endless attempts of trying to think about things of such, you can't get out of the habit of needlessly pursuing Eternity. You have all the time in the world, so why dare you stop now. Then your mind drifted to the Traveler once again, how they managed to bring out the sides of you that you desperately failed to suppress. The curiosity of the mortal world, the joy in being in the presence of those you seek comfort in. You managed to realize all things by such a simple action and it was all thanks to the change brought upon you and your people - one that you failed to realize while continuing to fulfill the promise you declared as a reassurance to yourself and Inazuma.

Human lives are a fickle thing, and it was something you once had the privilege to feel. But the constant fear of death was always there, present but not. For humans, since their lives are limited and vulnerable to the effects of erosion, they worry about, constantly worrying about the said event left and right whereas you, a god, an archon has a duty to uphold. A promise of protection to your people who lived in constant worry for their lives. A promise of Eternity, one that will surely reach the heavenly principles.

きっと彼女に届くかもしれないもの。

For you, time is nothing but fleeting and merely a memory, a gust of wind passing by. Through the eons, you've seen how people suffer the effects of death, those who pursue the embrace of death, and those who manage to give every bit of life they have whilst fighting death. All were admirable but pointless as how could a god like you ever truly experience the fulfillment of death when you have seen many right before your eyes.

You simply thought of death as nothing but a speck of dust. But somehow, it manages to scare you even just a bit.

The price of immortality, however, is eons of loneliness.

And being in the Plane of Euthymia just proved you that.

So, these people, who only hold power that is equivalent to that of a vision risk their lives for the sake of humanity? For themselves? To fend off these beings that devour from human flesh. Such trivial things and yet they still pursue.

It reminds you of a samurai your alter fought not too long ago.

And all these make your mind hurt more than it is.

Giving one last look to the people who stood in front of you, you teleported away. To wherever this world leads you too.

You need to clear your head.

_______________

Happy Single Awareness Day.