50

Taehyung pauses. His eyes are fixated on you, dark, narrowed and bothered. You take this chance and push him to the side, pressing on your floor.

The elevator chimes with a vibrate and he silently watches you leave.

Ever since that day, he never showed himself.

In order to forget about him, you exhausted yourself with work. An occupied mind leaves no space to reminiscence.

Two weeks fly by.

Things almost went back to normal. Almost.

Until the woman Taehyung was with in the wedding shows up in the hospital.

Nara's brought to a private room. In there she spends the next fifteen hours in labor.

You know this because she personally asked if you could assist her.

You've always made sure to separate your work from your private life.

So even if it's Nara here asking you to be there with her while she gives birth, work is still work.

As a nurse, you did your job assisting her. It was her first baby after all. She had to relax and be mentally and physically prepared.

Helping a mother-to-be with these is your specialty.

After hours of waiting, she eventually gives birth to a healthy baby boy.

Hair silky and dark as a starless night. Cheeks round and soft. The delicate strokes of his lashes greatly compliments his tiny face.

Watching her cuddling with her adorable new born brings a warm feeling in your chest.

If only Taehyung was here to see this.

It dawns to you that Taehyung hasn't shown his face yet.

Regardless of what you told him, this event isn't something worth missing.

He has to be here.

The door to the room creaks open and a fellow co-worker beckons you over. There's a piece of plastic wrapped paper in her hand.

Setting the clip board down, you excuse yourself for a moment.

"Don't forget this one."

The nurse hands you a birth certificate to fill out and leaves after congratulating the mother.

You gently close the door behind you.

"He has my eyes doesn't he, Y/n?" Nara's glowing. The smile on her face couldn't get any brighter.

It hasn't even been an hour and she's already fond of her baby. It's not the first time you've seen this spectacle.

She's going to be a great mom.

"He sure does." You snap the certificate on to the clip board. "Do we already have a name for the little guy?"

At that exact moment, the door swings open. Taehyung comes in with a basket of fruits and a bouquet of blooming red roses.

He's unfazed when he sees you and gently sets the items on one of the couches.

He stations his coat on a rack and apologizes.

"Sorry I took so long. Had to meet up with some ambassadors and couldn't find the chance to leave."

"That's fine." Nara replies.

Taehyung then walks to the side of the bed and stares. Normally a father would want to hold their child the second they see them.

He isn't showing any urges to.

"Did you pick a name already?"

Nara shakes her head. "I'm kinda jealous that he has his father's nose. So pointy. But at least he has my eyes."

"I'm pretty sure he doesn't." Taehyung chuckles softly. The latter gently drags a chair and stations himself beside the bed. He's leaning on the baby with the most genuine smile on his lips.

Silently, you leave the room.

Perhaps they'll already have a name by the time you return.

An hour goes by and you gently knock on the door. Taehyung opens it and you tensely raise the unfilled certificate as a hint of your presence.

He steps aside and lets you in. The baby's already in it's temporary crib fast asleep.

"How is our gorgeous mother feeling right now?"

"Overwhelmed and excited."

A smile settles on your lips. "Did you come up with a name already?"

Nara nods her head. "Do Hyun. Han Do Hyun."

The name's beautiful.

"Han Do Hyu-" The pen in your hand comes to a halt.

Han Do Hyun.

Her baby's a Han. Not a Kim.

Nara might have noticed the bothered expression you had on. "Does it sound weird?"

Snapping out of it, you quickly scribble the rest of the name and assure her that it's nothing.

"No, of course not. The name's perfect. If you don't mind, could you fill up your name here and the bab—Dohyun's father over here."

She hands it back to you after a moment. Giving them a smile, you then excuse yourself.

You scan your eyes through the certificate as you enter the elevator.

The once empty line beside 'Father's Name' shows an entirely different name.

Han Hyun Woo— she wrote.

All this time you thought it was Taehyung's child.

There's something you're missing. Something you're obviously not aware of.

But it's probably too late to go and ask Taehyung what's really going on, now is it?

You already pushed him away. Where would your dignity lie if you went to him and demanded for the whole story?

At this rate, although tempting, there's no other choice.

You just have to stop assuming things from now on. Stop everything in general.

The door's just about to close when it rattles open again.

And Taehyung's on the other side.

This time, you can tell, he's careful with his words. You can see it in his eyes. He doesn't want to screw it.

"For what I did to you, it was unforgivable. I shouldn't have left like that. I should have talked to you. I should have told you everything." He swallows thickly. "But I didn't. I won't apologize now. Not until you hear everything I have to say. And damn it I have so much to tell you. After that, I'll ask for forgiveness. And if you still want me gone after that, I'll —"He hesitates for a moment. "— I'll make sure to never show my face again."