How To Save A Life

Hospital nights could often times feel endless with the constant influx of patients, all of the passing hours blurring together and resulting in losing track of time. Whether it was night or morning did not seem to matter any longer as you'd become one with the rush of people, a nameless stranger just like the rest and all that separated you from them was that you were the lifeline in the face of bleak hope and they were the ones in dire need of help. Thousands of cases had come through these busy hallways; some gruesome while others were effortlessly uncomplicated. It was nearly impossible to remember the names of them all. All types of genders, races, sexualities. No matter how long they stayed in their beds, each of them was of the utmost importance to you. It was true that you could not save everyone, but you'd damn well try even if it meant going above and beyond. The double doors slid open as you stood in the ambulance bay, awaiting with an organ cooler gripped tightly to your dark blue scrubs. Inside was a liver, which would be donated to a teenage girl who'd made it onto the transplant list after years of waiting and it was your job to get it to the next hospital forty-five minutes away. Sure, it would be a long ride, but knowing that you were giving someone their life back made it ultimately worth it. No cool surgery could top this prideful feeling, and it honestly felt like life was looking up. You'd been doubting your own abilities ever since chief resident had been given to another girl, as you'd been sure you'd put your all into your work - but maybe your time was not now. Everything happens for a reason was basically your life motto, passed down from your mom and whenever things were weighing heavy on your psyche you'd remind yourself.

Thunder rumbles overhead, and a tap on your shoulder shakes you out of your worrisome thoughts. Alana, your best friend all throughout medical school, is there with a massive grin plastered on her face. "You'll never guess who just scrubbed in on a pericardiocentesis." Neuro had always been your passion, but cardio was hers.

"Let me guess, you?" you giggle, and high five her excitedly. "That's so awesome, Al. You never fail to impress. I'm about to go on a road trip with this liver, but when I come back I better hear every last detail."

"Careful, I heard it's gonna be super rainy. Good luck, I already know whoever's getting it is gonna be happy post-surgery because wherever you go, you bring joy. Have fun, see you later!" Alana skips away with pep in her step, fading into the gathering of patients in the background.

A siren grows near in the distance, and a glossy red ambulance backs up in your direction to signal you'd be leaving momentarily. Its doors open up, and you're met with enchanting cerulean eyes and a kind smile. The blues and reds of the flashing lights strike across his chiseled cheekbones as if highlighting how breathtaking his features are. "You again?" he chuckles in a friendly manner, but you're frozen in place at the mere sight of him. It's Kai, a paramedic you've interacted with once or twice but have an absolutely massive crush on. You had never worked up the gall to make a move as he was always flirting with the nurses and deep down insecurities reassured you it would be a cold day in hell that he'd find you to be his type.

"It's me again," you manage, attempting not to blush as he offers a gloved hand and hoists you up into the compact space with him. The doors are shut once more as he takes a seat and pats the empty spot next to him, and you take it as you ignore how clammy your palms have become. "We just keep running into each other, don't we?" If you keep a cool exterior, he won't be able to tell how your insides are turning to mush.

"I don't mind, seeing you is a pretty nice highlight to my day." Kai leans comfortably back as the vehicle takes off into the gloomy evening darkness, and from how close you two are you the wondrous elixir of his aftershave and Versace cologne wafts into your nostrils. Was that a flirtatious remark or were you just reading into his words because you wanted to believe that there was a chance that he felt the same? As he rests at your side, you forlornly gaze. The navy blue button-up with his nametag pinned is undone just enough that his white tank peeks through, the short sleeves snug around his muscled arms. A pair of black slacks and matching combat boots complete his ensemble, his everyday uniform but he wears it well nonetheless. To not be in awe of him was simply unfathomable.