Chapter 16

-Elijah-

I don't know if she'll be okay, the doctors says she will, she just needs some sleep, food, and water. God, I really hope she'll be ok.

I sit at her bedside at the Serenity Hospital Center holding her hand. I realize that this would probably be the last place she would want to be at, but this is the only hospital here.

I knew I should've came sooner at least she wouldn't be in this state, but I was scared that I would only make her grief worse. I was afraid that I would say the wrong thing and I won't be able to forgive myself but god, this is so much worse.

I refuse to leave her side and it's not like anyone would care.

I know she would feel terrible to miss school so I'm missing school as well and we can both catch up together because she will wake up, it's only 9 days. It can't be too bad, can it?

I can't do this. I get up slowly leaving her side and head down the road to get some coffee I need.

---

"A small black coffee" "Ok, and that will be $3.99" 4 dollars?! For a cup of coffee does she think I'm rich? I was too tired to bother so I gave her $4 and got my black coffee. I was about to leave when she says "Can I get your number?" What was this person talking about? "I have a girlfriend" I said simply and left.

I pass the ice cream shop and see a child crying because I'm guessing his ice cream fell on the ground. His mom is trying to calm him down, ushering him to stop crying. I stroll over to the little boy and kneel down to meet his eyes "Do you want ice cream?" I ask him gently. He sniffs and nods his head, too scared to say anything. I nod and walk over to the ice cream shop and at first they were too hesitant to follow, then complied and followed behind me back to the shop. I buy him an ice cream and say "don't drop this one again" and he happily nodded taking the ice cream in his hands. "I don't know how to thank you, maybe I can buy you one?" The little boy's mother says. I shake my head and say "I don't like ice cream." "Max, say thank you to the kind stranger" His mother said and him far to distracted but says it anyway. "Thank you" "It's no problem I'm glad I can help" I reply having a genuine smile on my face.

---

I head back to the hospital with my now cold coffee in my hand, I don't think tho. I sit down next to Ev and take a sip of the black coffee. I watch the electrocardiogram on the other side of Ev, and somehow it calms me. Maybe it is because I can see that her heart is still beating and that she's alive.

She's alive and not going anywhere.

Neither am I.

I look at her face, she's as pale as ever, I wonder if that'll ever go away. She's the most beautiful girl I've ever met, with big hazel brown eyes, long silky light brown hair, and the most perfect shade of pink lips. I don't know how long I was looking at her so I turn away for a bit only for my eyes to trail back to her face again. Her eyes flutter a bit but that's all I need to conclude that

She's awake.