CHAPTER FIFTEEN

I slowly unfold the letter, holding it away from myself, as if something inside might jump out and murder me

The parchment has been made to look artificially old, and the message inside is written in fancy calligraphy. These people sure take themselves seriously.

Congratulations!

The time has come for you to claim your birthright and earn your chance to attend Atlantis Academy.

After much deliberation and a thorough analysis of your application package, we have determined that you have the potential to be a valued member of The Atlantis Society one day. You hereby qualify to participate in the Atlantis Academy Entrance Trials in order to determine your placement within our school.

If you wish to participate in the Entrance Trials and attend Atlantis Academy, please complete the blood pact at the end of this document.

"Blood pact? Oh, hell no." This just keeps getting weirder.

The rest of the parchment appears to be completely blank, but as I stare at it, golden tendrils of light begin to move and dance on the blank portion.

I hold it away from me quickly, my pulse skyrocketing. My jaw drops as four golden symbols take shape, one by one. Words write themselves below the symbols.

Gaia - The House of Earth Magick

Zephyrus - The House of Air Magick

Atlas - The House of Water Magick

Helios - The House of Fire Magick

I blink and whatever was there is gone. I turn the paper over in my hands, feeling the rough surface. Is it some kind of... hologram thing... a trick of the eye?

Magic or magick or whatever... doesn't exist. There's an explanation here somewhere.

I turn the letter back over, but the symbols don't reappear.

I slide my fingers down the center of the paper and then feel the edges, looking for a logical explanation for what I just saw. Maybe the paper has some kind of computer chip?

A sharp, shooting pain stabs my pointer finger.

"Ouch!"

It freakin' bit me!

I hold the parchment in my other hand, the one not bleeding, and stare down at my injured finger, scowling. A big drop of blood oozes out, and the pain feels exactly like when they stab a finger in the doctor's office to get a drop of blood.

The parchment is playing tricks on my eyes again. Now, a large stylized red "X" has appeared where the symbols used to be.

Below it are the words: