Ch. 24 - Wait

Monet

The light was blinding. And there was a buzzing sound. I had expected everything to hurt, but it all left just fine.

I groaned at the light shining in my eye, and attempted to raise one of my hands to cover it as I tried to open my eyes, but was help back by a weight on top of it. Looking down, I saw someone's hand holding it down. Their head resting on my lap, facing away from me and their other hand was laying across my body.

I let out another soft noise, allowing my head to fall back from the position I pushed itself to since I felt too weak to hold it up. There was a shift in my lap and I noticed the person there had moved to face me. Another groan came out as I let my head fall to one side and immediately all the weight shifted off of me except for the hand on mine that simple clutched it tighter.

"Monet?" a voice whispered. A silk, velvet voice. And there was one one person I knew who had that voice. "Monet, darling." Ah, of course.

"Mmm?" I said, shifting my head back to facing him and properly opening my eyes.

"Oh Gods...Oh Gods!" he said, raising his voice. "You're awake!" I quietly shushed him and he quickly apologised before lowering his voice. "You're awake," he whispered.

"Uhuh...I'm awake," I said as I sighed, my eyes feeling heavy. 

"Do you remember what happened?"

"I think so." I took a pause. "I just have one question," I continued looking him in the eyes.

His eyebrows shot up, encouraging me to continue. "Who...who are you?"

He leaned back, taking in multiple short breaths at once. "W-what?" he said, in shortness of breath.

I looked at him closely, knitting my eyebrows together as if in thought for a few seconds, then beginning to chuckle as my face returned back to its original position. "I'm kidding, Loki! Always such a tightass."

He let out a deep sigh of release and began shaking his head while looking down. "I hate you, Monet." He moved back up to look me in the eyes. "But I'm glad you're okay."

I tilted my head and let out a long breath that I felt I was holding in forever. "Yeah, me too. I mean, not in a selfish way. Just - you know - glad I"m not dead." His lips curled upwards as he looked at me so intensely and deep in thought.

My head moved down away from his eyes and onto my lap where I noticed one of his hands still holding mine, and the other resting on my thigh. Then a sudden thought crossed my mind.

"Wait," I began, my head shooting back up to his eyes, "Didn't I literally just get stabbed? It feels like I can run a damn marathon without breaking a sweat."

Loki smirked and said, "Well, there's the power of Asgardian magic for you, Monet. It's only been two and a half days since the incident."

"Oh my God! Oh my Go-" I stopped abruptly and lowered my voice into a whisper. "Are we in Asgard?? Hooolyyy shiiiiit. I mean this isn't really what I imagine it to look like. But then again, I just found out you guys existed like a month ago or something. I'm not sure I definitely lost track of time. But this doesn't seem like it looks very golden-y and shiny. It looks more like-"

"Banner's lab?" Loki interrupted. "It's because it is. You're not in Asgard, sorry to disappoint, love. We only used the magic."

"You can use Asgardian magic here?"

"Well, of course. I mean, both mine and Thor's magic are Asgardian and they still work here."

"Oh. Oh yeah, that makes a lot more sense now."

The door opened and both our gazes shifted to who was coming.

"Bruce!!" I squealed out. "It's you, it's you! I missed you, Brucie! How have you been?" I asked. Reminder: I hadn't seen him for a while even before I had gotten stabbed.

"Monet. You're awake."

He held a straight face, monotone voice, and didn't even spare me a glance. He grabbed a random syringe that was on the table which already had some weird shit in it and injected it into my shoulder. All without daring to say a word to me.

"You are now free to go. No physical restrictions, you're fully healed." He scribbled some random stuff on a paper on his clipboard, then ripped it out and handed it to Loki looking at him, not me. "Details for medication she will need for the next few days. She should have no more than what's written down and will only need them for the next five days. They're all in the drawer over there," he signalled with his pen to the drawer on my left.

He nodded at Loki and quickly walked out the room, firmly shutting the door behind him.

"What the hell was that?" I asked, in shock of his behaviour.

"Monet..." Loki said slowly, while biting his lip. "I have something to tell you. But I need you to agree first that in no way will you try to blame yourself for this," he said, his last sentence being a lot firmer.

"Yeah sure, whatever. Just tell me what's going on."

"When the Avengers arrived back from their mission after I contacted them," Loki began, "they had to quickly help me carry you here, to the laboratory, to begin surgery on you. You were still slightly awake so for this, Bruce injected you with plenty of medication to numb you so y0u wouldn't feel too much pain. As you were about to fall asleep, you had started rambling random words and sentences that were just falling out of your mouth with no control." I had a feeling knew where he was going with this, but I was too afraid to assume, so I just let him continue. "I knew at one point you were going to slip-up about something you would really regret so I tried my best to stop you from speaking, but I couldn't make it too obvious. But you still slipped." He took a pause and a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Monet"

"Sorry about what, Loki?" I knew what he was sorry about, but I needed to hear it before I believed it.

"Bruce know. About your sister, your brother. Everything. You told him."

I silently stared at him, with shock and unsettlement written over my face.

"No. No, it can't be. After all of my efforts I-" I shook my head in disbelief.

"It is."

"This can't be happening. He-he wasn't supposed to find out this way. Oh my God, Oh my God." My head started pacing and I brought my arms up to grab onto it and clutch my hair. I closed my eyes, attempted to take in long breaths and relax.

I felt Loki softly grab onto my arms and pull them back down. "Open your eyes, darling." I did, and looked at him as he took both of my hands into both of his and reassuringly stroked them with his thumbs. "There is nothing you can do about it now. You just have to sit it out. And wait."

"But I-"

"Shh..." he interrupted. "Wait," and whispered.

I nodded slowly and repeated after him. "Wait."

A small smile appeared on his face and he brought his face closer to mine.

My heart started beating faster and faster and my eyes bounced around his face. Specifically between his two eyes and his lips. My breathing quickened as he kept leaning in and slowly relaxed his eyes closed. I was prepared this time, and thought he wanna gonna do it. But then he slickly leaned up and pressed his lips against my forehead softly.

Didn't expect that one. Felt nice though.

He rested his chin atop my head and I leaned into him, taking my hands out of his and wrapping my arms around his waist. He wrapped his own around me as well and whispered again.

"Wait." And I felt one final kiss, on the top of my head.

~~

A/N: Sorry if there are mistakes, couldn't be arsed to proof-read today.