75

Aniruddh opened his eyes to very dim lights and sobs of a woman. He realised he was still on the cold floor and the wound in his back hurt like death.

" Aniruddh Babu..."

Aniruddh located Aarti and his heart panicked.

" What are you doing ?" Aarti exclaimed watching him try to get up. " Don't move !" She saw the temporary bandage she made out of clothes go loose around his shoulder.

" I have to get out...of here." Aniruddh said finally standing, his head light due to all the blood loss.

" You can't !"

" You are scared of me here. I am too. I shouldn't have come here."

" Where are you going ?!"

" To haveli."

" You need a doctor first."

" I don't have time..." He reached the door but couldn't open it as he fell due to his wobbling knees. But he didn't hit floor this time as he felt a set of arms around him. His vision was going blurry but his head was screaming at him to get up and walk to his home. Those men must have told his family he died. They must be devastated. His Baba and Kaka were old for such a shock, his brothers too young. Sampoorna was pregnant, she shouldn't be in the middle of such crisis and Bondita...his Bondita...was all alone.

" I have sent for the doctor." She had taken his advice and sent the guard for the nearest doctor who she knew was a friend of Aniruddh's, ordering strict secrecy.

" I need to go to..." He tried to turn around as she held him from falling and now was facing her. " Don't tell anyone...else."

" Why ?" She looked panicked all over again.

" Someone...is after me..." He lost his remaining energy as his head dropped on her shoulder. " Don't... tell anyone..."

Aarti knew he had fallen unconscious again and she slowly dragged his heavy body to her bed. Once settled she tied the knots of the bandages again. She looked at his face, lips still muttering what she could not understand. It was a stormy night and a stormy heart that beat in her chest. She had admired him from a distance but never noticed him up close. His face was tensed. She brought up a clean wet piece of cloth and wipped his face again. The handsome face glowed in the candle light. She was brought out of it by a knock on the door.

The doctor was rushed in and the guard stood in attendance as Aarti moved to a corner of her hut near the door. Away from the men.

" Aniruddh...!" He felt his cheeks being poked and he was irritated. He just wanted to sleep. He opened his eyes to see his friend, the doctor who had attended Bondita while she was pregnant. He tried to speak but nothing came out.

" Don't stress yourself." The doctor said immediately starting his work. Cleaning the wounds on his face and hands with a burning liquid.

" Haveli..." Aniruddh crocked.

" I will send someone there."

" No.." Aniruddh tried to get up. " Take...me...there..."

" Ok ! Ok !" The doctor gently pushed him down. " Stay still. I will take you there."

Aniruddh felt himself being turned around and a blanket being removed from him. He was shirtless underneath. He looked at Aarti, she must have done it. He closed his eyes as he felt the pain increase due to the cleaning of his wound. She should not have. That was not right. But he knew it was the necessity of the time and he needed to thank her.

But it was not alright. It could be dangerous for her...and for him.

He bit back a scream as he felt needle prick him. He looked at Aarti again. She was crying. She should not be in the middle of this. It was foolish on his part to come here but he could think of nowhere else to go at that time. He had been in this situation before with Saudamini. Spending a night in her room had almost snatched away Bondita from him when all he did was sleep in Saudamini's room. What would happen if people came to know that Aarti had taken off his shirt, touched him. No one will understand that it was an act of humanity. That she had actually helped him. Another sting made him bury his face in the pillow. People will call her names. And in such cases even the man was not spared. He would be asked questions, blamed for this foolish step of entering her house in the middle of the night. They might force him to marry ..