question: if someone likes you, are you required to like them back?

Kamisato Ayato isn't a fan of routine.

He likes it best when he gets to do different things everyday; when he isn't confined in a limbo of tasks he needs to accomplish by the time his subordinates are out of the office. Alas, it's the job of the Yashiro Commissioner to subject himself to things he finds horribly tedious. But for the sake of his family, he'll grin and bear it.

Today, however, while Ayato is busy admiring the decorative greenery in his office, the stagnant waters of his day-to-day life are disturbed by unexpected ripples on the surface.

One of his men—a private investigator who gives him intel about Inazuma's elite—steps inside with a grim look. He makes it swift; tells him that an organization whose name Ayato never thought would come up again has been on the move. The Commissioner doesn't need to hear anything more. He already had the hunch that this is exactly how the way things were going to turn out. All his personal Sherlock did is confirm his suspicions.

Once the investigator sees himself out, Ayato leans back on his swiveling seat, head tilted upward as he contemplates whether or not he should do anything about it. It seems that turning a blind eye to stirring trouble is quite the trend among the other members of the Tri-Commission. But of course, he was never one to operate by the book.

Ayato makes a rather strange call that afternoon—the first tinge of color in the monotone of his daily routine. He patiently waits as the person he's contacting answers the phone. The man in question probably has no idea how his contact details have reached the Commissioner's address book, but surely he'll spare Ayato some degree of mystery, right?

It isn't often that he personally takes matters into his own hands. His younger sister is much better at negotiating relations with other parties. But this case in particular—Ayato finds quite concerning. When the Yashiro Commission needs to reach out to someone who's long left the service of the Kamisato clan—a man that Ayato used to look up to—it's only proper for him to see it through himself.

A woman answers the phone; one with a sweet and lovely voice. His wife.

"Good day, Takahashi-san," Ayato greets kindly. "It's Ayato. Do you remember me?"

She pauses. Ayato can picture her hesitation. "Ranpo is um...not here at the moment. You might have to call some other time, Kamisato-san."

"Is that so?" he drawls. "Does later in the evening work for him? Of course, I'm willing to wait longer if need be. I just want a word with your husband is all."

"I—"

The woman's voice is cut off by the sound of static and rustling. Ayato can vaguely make out the fragments of a conversation, but the words are too far away for him to catch. Though, when the telephone's receiver is in place again, it's a man that speaks to him instead.

"Didn't we agree not to contact each other anymore?" Ranpo speaks gruffly. "What do you want?"

"My, cutting to the chase like always," the Commissioner laughs. "That's what Father liked most about you as a leader, you know? But I could've sworn you used to be much friendlier..."

"Ayato, I don't have time for all this nonsense. Please, just get to the point."

Hearing his old mentor's voice again, Ayato nearly lets himself fall prey to that deceptive feeling called nostalgia. He's an adult man with his own career ahead of him, but he's susceptible to memories of the past just as much as the next guy. He sighs, a sad smile rooting itself on his face as he honors Ranpo's request.

"Here I thought we'd be able to rekindle our bond as master and student."

"Those days are far behind us now, and you know that."