CHAPTER 25: IMPOSSIBLE TRUTHS

Ashvale

Koldis held tight to Claire's shoulders as she jerked in his grasp. Like the others, he could do nothing but watch the top of her head from where he stood as she babbled, gasped, and jerked against him. Whatever the drink had done, whatever it had shown her, had happened within her own mind. He'd gathered snippets. Words. Queen Jade's name, Kane's name, Isabella's name. But beyond the few things she'd said, he could not say what she'd seen. And then she jerked a final time and he knew it was over—felt her sigh of relief as she relaxed against him, opening and closing her hands.

He held her shoulders a moment longer, just to be sure she was all right, then released her and sat back down. No one said a word, and from the expression on Claire's face, he could see why. She looked like she'd seen things—things she hadn't wanted to see. He had to bite his tongue to keep from speaking. She needed a few moments to come back to herself.

It was Lixiss who broke the silence. "Whatever you saw, girl. Keep it to yourself. If the Tree wanted the world to know, he would make it so." Claire's eyes darted around their group, as if only realizing they were there. She was fighting a battle; he could tell by the confliction in her gaze. As if she wanted to talk about it, but wasn't sure what she should say. Perhaps what she had seen had thoroughly confused her.

"When the Tree shows me things," Taylynn said, her voice calm and hesitant, "the things I see are often jumbled, frightening, and make little sense. Sometimes they seem absolutely unbelievable. The Tree shows me enough to provide food for thought; it relies on me to make sense of it. I will venture a guess here, that what you have seen is much the same as what I often see. You will need time to digest the Tree's food. Time with your thoughts." A moment of silence and then, "We will take you back to the cottage and give you some space."

Koldis sighed, though it was involuntary. He would never tell her, but Taylynn's advice brought him peace. He half expected the Sprite princess to begin questioning his queen, demanding answers in front of all of them. And in truth, he wanted answers. Instead, she'd done the opposite, she'd exhibited understanding. Even if the hungry expression on her face said otherwise; Taylynn wanted answers as badly as the rest of them.

Claire gave a curt nod and got to her feet. He hovered—he couldn't help it. She wasn't moving as confidently as she usually did. He wanted to be close in case she needed an arm to lean on. Their goodbyes to Lixiss were hurried and brief. The Sprite ushered them out with a knowing smile. Something told him she was unsurprised by Claire's behavior, had probably seen it time and again.

They took Claire back to the cottage and saw her comfortably settled in the attic with a cup of tea in hand. Jeanine and Feowen announced that they were going for a long walk. A few moments later, Taylynn announced the same. Koldis, glad to find her alone, knelt before Claire, putting his gaze level with hers. "Want to talk about it?" he asked.

She lifted an eyebrow. "You're fretting like a nursemaid, you know."

A bark of laughter exploded from his chest. He wasn't sure what he had expected her to say, but her sense of humor was welcome. "Can you blame me?"

She shrugged, sipping her tea. "I...I saw things. Lots of things. I do want to talk about it with you. But maybe after I've had some time to make sense of it. If...If I ever manage to make sense of it."

Eager desire made him speak before he thought better of it. "Perhaps talking about it would help make sense of it?"

"It might." Her eyes took on a faraway look. "And it might not. No. Taylynn was right. I should spend some time alone with my thoughts." She reached out to trace his jawline with her fingers, perhaps hoping the gesture would take away some of the sting he felt about being sent away.