t w e n t y s i x

April 15th 2017
Avengers Compound

Steve Rogers didn't get scared. It just wasn't part of his genetic make up.

Well that was until he met Ember Rose.

He had never actually been nervous until meeting her. He could easily beat up (or try, at least) a bully when he was in school, and he illegally signed himself up for war, and his job is literally to walk into a new battle everyday for a living.

But none of that phased him at all.

Nothing could compare to what he felt when he was around Ember, and lying in bed after the party trying to sleep, and failing miserably, made him realise just how stupid he had been.

Ember had enchanted him since the very first day they met. She was a challenge, and Steve needed an opponent. He needed someone who could test him everyday in his normal life, but someone who was still on his side, unconditionally.

Everything about her made him feel things he couldn't put words to. He didn't think he'd ever find someone else after Peggy, but now that Ember was in his life maybe he had been wrong about Peggy being the one after all.

Or maybe a person has more than one soulmate. Maybe because Steve had basically lived two different lives, he had two different people he was destined to be with.

That's if destiny was what he was talking about. Destiny may have played a part, making sure Ember was right there when Steve went to arrest her, destiny stopping her from escaping the compound despite the Stark tech being removed which kept her here. Maybe fate is the reason for no matter how hard Steve tried to convince himself he didn't have feelings for Ember, all of the emotions kept arising.

Or maybe that was just love.

He admired her.

Everything she done he thought was amazing. Her powers, god knows how she got them, are absolutely extraordinary, and Steve couldn't help but feel proud of how far she had come in being able to control them, all apart from the injury.

Her cast was supposed to get taken off today, and Steve was shaking with anticipation for the knock on his door for her to visit him, every second felt like their own entire day, he just lay facing the ceiling, waiting patiently for her to arrive.

He was going to go to the on site hospital with her, give her some company while her cast got taken off— But he didn't want to feel intrusive. He knew that taking her out on a date was already slightly out of her comfort zone, and he didn't want to push it.

His was trying not to make his date plans too extravagant. He has flashed his mind back to the very very few dates he had managed to take women on back in the 40s before he got the serum, and managed to come up with a simple idea which wouldn't scare her away even more.

He hadn't even spoken to Bucky about it, mostly because Bucky would give him crap for being too simple and to go all out, which was a pretty on brand Bucky thing to do, especially since returning to his usual self.

The more time Steve spent with his best friend, the more he realises how much he fucking missed having him in his life. He hasn't noticed how empty he felt without Bucky by his side, but when he came back, when he started smiling again and finally being in the right mindset to begin to move on from HYDRA, the Bucky Barnes that Steve grew up with was beginning to return.

Steve had noticed Buckys developing friendship with Ember, too.

Bucky was in a stable relationship, so Steve wasn't jealous, he was happy that each of them had found comfort in one another.

Bucky smiled a lot more often now, and Ember seemed to enjoy her time more that she had other people who weren't just Steve to talk to. He guessed that she had grown bored of isolating herself from everyone and begun to reach out to other people, and Steve had noticed that Bucky and Natasha had been two of those people she had grown closer to.

Natasha and Ember hadn't spoken much at all during Embers time here. Natasha was always on a mission. She didn't like to stay still, which resulted in less time available to talk to Ember, although she had been putting in a little more effort lately.

He sat up and slid off of the bed with a long sigh, running his hand over the beard he had been growing and keeping in good shape ever since Ember said he'd look good with a beard.

All he could think about was her. The way her lips felt against his, the way her hand felt when it was intertwined in his. He wanted that feeling forever. This strange, foreign feeling of adoration and lust.

Pure lust wasn't really something Steve had experienced much in his life up until Ember, but when he saw her his mind went to places that previously he wouldn't considered unthinkable.

He wanted her.

And he didn't just want to take her out on dates. He also wanted to touch her. To feel her. To explore every single curve, every part, every inch of her body.

She made him feel feral.

He imagined the way they'd both feel as he showed her just how much she really meant to him. He imagined waking up next to her and being able to place kisses down her bare back, before getting up and making them coffee, before cuddling in his bed watching a movie neither of them had heard of since, frankly, they both sucked with pop culture references.

Ember was slowly but surely becoming his everything. Even if she wasn't particularly his yet.

But she would be, soon.

He would show her that.

He would show her that she was his, and he hers.

He had finally allowed himself to think less like Captain America and more like Steve Rogers— Grasping the fact that he wanted this girl more than anything.

He poured himself a glass of icy cool water and sat on the couch, gazing out of the window.

The landscape was completely still. No wind. No one outside moving. Complete silence.

Until he heard a knock at the door.