The Rain // C.B

warnings: bad weather, fluff, cute, established relationship, wedding, marriage, proposals, engagements, churches but no strict mention of religion.

------------

Not a single person expected the rain; the paper had promised clear skies, and the way the sun shone in the sky all suggested that the day would remain perfect. No-one expected the rain, least of all Colin.

The first drop landed in his hair, startling him slightly but nothing he remained focused on as he reached for your hand across the red gingham blanket. The second drop landed on the back of his hand; it quickly turned to a third drop then a fourth and before long, the blanket was thrown over the both of you in an effort to keep the both of you dry.

Neither of you get very far; abandoning the blanket and accepting your fates as you pull Colin to a nearby bench. "This isn't how I pictured today going," Colin laments, groaning into hands.

A sharp giggle leaves your lips. "Not even Colin Bridgerton can control the weather."

Colin peeks between his fingers; mirth beginning to shine in his eyes as he takes in the glee written on your face. You had always loved the rain; everything from the sound of it landing on the pavement to the smell of the grass after a rainfall. Colin shakes his head. "I should have realised that rain would be the perfect time to do this."

"To do what?"

He fumbles for a moment; patting the pockets of his deep green jacket before finding what he needs, what he wants. He takes a moment, a single moment before pulling the ring box from his jacket.

You inhale sharply when you spy the small, red velvet box sitting in his hand. "Colin..."

"I had it all planned perfectly," He laughs, the blue of his eyes shining brightly with gathering tears. "The only thing I didn't count on was the weather, but for as long as I have loved you have you loved rain."

Colin opens the box; the hinges squeaking as he reveals the ring nestled in the fabric. His heart pounds furiously in his chest as he takes in the clear shock written on your face. His eyes search your face, looking for any sign that this could be a bad idea, but all he finds

"Will you marry me?" Colin asks; his voice no louder than a whisper as he lets his emotions get the better of him.

"Yes," You breathe, hand shaking as you reach for the man you love with your mind, body and soul.

————–

As the day of the wedding grew closer, Colin began checking and double checking the weather. He would read and reread the paper, consult his mother, and beg his eldest brother to check with his fellows at Oxford and Cambridge. He knew you loved the rain, but the last thing Colin wanted for your wedding day was a torrential downpour that could possibly ruin your dress and day.

———–

Colin gazes up at the clear, blue sky with promise in his eyes. Clouds travel across the sky; the sun shining brightly as if trying to tell Colin that there would be no rain fall today.

"It will be fine, brother," Anthony promises, clapping his younger brother on his shoulder. "The weather will hold."

"One can only hope," Colin states, meeting his brother's happy gaze.

"Come now," Anthony whispers, guiding Colin through the doors of the church. "Let's get you married."

Colin smiles as his brother guides him down the aisle to where he is to wait for you. On the way, he spies his beloved mother, already dabbing at her eyes with a silk handkerchief. Benedict sits next to her; a proud smile on his face as he whispers something their mother, bolstering words to help her get through the day so she doesn't feel the absence of their father so keenly.

Anthony leaves Colin there; not without a word of encouragement. Not that Colin needs it; he knew he was going to marry you the moment he saw you at Lady Hoover's summer masquerade ball.

Colin's breath catches in his throat the moment he spies you at the end of the church aisle. The organ strikes up, and Colin mentally thanks the volume as no-one can hear the hitch in his breathing as you step closer and closer to the altar.

Taking your hand, Colin whispers, "Good morning."

A blinding smile crosses your face; unshed tears already lining your eyes. A sniffle, a short laugh. "Good morning," You whisper, voice breaking on the words.

Turning to face the priest, Colin drops your hand in favour for hooking his pinkie finger with yours. He takes a deep breath and meets the rest of his forever.

He feels as if the wedding flies by; the prayers, hymns, and vows, they almost all blend into one as Colin thinks back on it through the carriage ride back to Bridgerton House. The one thing that stood out was the taste of your kiss: the happiness and love pouring through you into him.

Colin freezes when he hears the first roll of thunder. That first rumble combined with the tell-tale patter of rain on the roof of the carriage has Colin's heart sinking in his chest even if he sees the wide smile cross yours.

What started as a slow trickle turns faster the moment that carriage rolls to a stop outside Bridgerton House. Colin doesn't need to be told that the celebratory breakfast has already been moved inside; if he focuses hard enough, he can see Gregory and Hyacinth fighting over their spot at the table in the grand dining room.

The frown remains fixed on Colin's face as he helps you down from the carriage. He presses a soft kiss to your cheek, trying not to let the disappointment of the weather ruin his mood too much.

"Darling," You call, pulling Colin to a stop as he marches through the courtyard. "Whatever is the matter?"

"I wanted one day for you," Colin stresses. "I wanted one day where your special moment wasn't going to be ruined by the rain."

"The day hasn't been ruined, darling," You reassure, smiling at the dramatics of the man you so desperately love.

"I checked everything. I bought every broadsheet in London, I pestered my mother, I made Anthony call in favours from old school friends. I did all that I could to ensure the weather wasn't going to turn out like this, and yet..." Colin huffs; his frustration at its highest as he venomously glares at the fat drops of water leaking from the sky.

"You did all that for me?"

Colin nods; turning his gaze to you, at the drops dripping from your hair and soaking your dress, at the mud now staining the hem of your dress. "I know you love the rain," He murmurs, "But I wanted you to have one day of perfection."

Your heart thrums in your chest; the golden wedding band sitting on the fourth finger of your left hand now shining with the force of your love for Colin rushing through your body. "I love the rain," You whisper, reaching for the man you could now call your husband. "I love the rain, but not half as much as I love you."