CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

Men and women in black Cerberus agent uniforms are headed straight for me, wands at the ready

Men and women in black Cerberus agent uniforms are headed straight for me, wands at the ready. The man in front has pale skin, black hair, and wrinkles on his face that make him look perpetually pissed.

Agent Dubois.

Shit. Terror shoots through me as I look for an escape.

But they're on me in an instant.

Two of them grab me so tight, I can hardly to breathe.

A third rips my backpack out of my arms and tosses it to the sidewalk.

Some of the papers fall out, and they seem to drift to the sidewalk in slow motion.

The agents shove me to my knees, and one of them yanks both my arms behind my back. I let out a yelp of pain as cold, metal cuffs close around my wrists.

Dubois is in front of me, his arms clasped behind him. His pale skin has a gray undertone to it, like he hasn't slept in a while, and his dark brown eyes are shining with a savage gleam.

He leans in close. "Don't try anything," he growls in my ear. "You so much as think about using magick, and these cuffs will deliver the worst pain you've ever felt in your life."

"I doubt that," I say through gritted teeth.

Dubois straightens with a smirk. What's he so damn satisfied about?

My eyes are burning as I dart a glance around at the Cerberus agents surrounding me. The man and woman who hunted me in Port Ashford are part of this new team, and they look as pleased as Dubois does.

The crowd of students has gone silent, staring. Vivian's been pushed off to the side, and she's hugging herself, her eyes wide behind her glasses.

I can't read Caelum's expression, but Esme's still hanging off his arm, and she looks goddamned delighted to see me like this.

Dread's like an anchor in my gut, and my whole body has gone cold.

"Lyric Hart." I swear Dubois is loving this. "You are under arrest for the murder of Amanda Logan, an adult member of the Siren Collective and the Shifters' Alliance."

"Go to hell." I say it with as much disdain as I can muster, despite my fear.

His smirk only deepens, and if my hands weren't cuffed behind my back, I swear to God I'd punch that look off his face.

What's he so proud of? It's not that impressive, catching a seventeen-year-old girl.

Easy prey.

Not this time.

I let out a yelp as two agents grab my cuffed wrists and drag me to my feet.

"No!" I struggle against them. My pulse roars in my ears as I let my legs go limp, dragging the agents down. They tighten their grip, hauling me higher, and I go wild.