CHAPTER FORTY

What the hell is Caelum doing here?

My eyes widen as I see what he's carrying under his arm. It's my ruined, overflowing backpack.

"I apologize, ArchGuardian!" Ferrero runs in after him. "I will make sure this student is punished." He grabs Caelum by the arm and tries to pull him out of the room.

But Caelum's taller and apparently stronger than the Guardian, because he doesn't even budge an inch.

"ArchGuardian Visconti," Caelum says icily. "Please tell your... secretary... who I am. Somehow he doesn't know."

The chancellor narrows her eyes at Caelum but nods. "Guardian Ferrero, this is my nephew. Caelum Westgard."

Nephew?

At "Westgard," Ferrero's eyes go wide as saucers, and he drops Caelum's arm like it's covered in angry bees. "I apologize, sir."

He whirls around, fleeing the room so quick, his red robe billows out behind him.

Caelum works his jaw and briefly glances down at me. His light brown hair is mussed, and he's got a sheen of sweat on his forehead.

He's still hot as hell, but the awful way he's staring at me feels like a knife in my churning gut.

His green eyes are icy. Empty. Like I'm nothing. Like I utterly bore him with my existence. So... why is he here?

He drops my backpack on the floor. "This is hers... ArchGuardian Visconti. I didn't think you'd want..."—he pauses and darts another glance at me—"trash on the curb during Orientation Day."

Ouch.

Dubois has come up behind me again, and he's squeezing my arm so hard, my eyes are starting to water.

"Thank you." The chancellor arches a brow at Caelum when he doesn't move to leave. "Is there something else?"

"I also need to speak with you..." He folds his hands across his broad chest. "Privately."

"We can discuss whatever you'd like to discuss later."

Caelum cocks his head at her with the same flat expression she's wearing. "Unfortunately, it can't wait."

She narrows her eyes at him again. "I will speak with you as soon as we're finished here."

Caelum nods slowly. Then he shoots me and Dubois a contemptuous look. "So... why's she being arrested by a Cerberus Agent? Isn't she a student here?"

"She's a murderer," Dubois spits out. "And I have a warrant. So if you'll excuse—"

"Can I see it?" Caelum gives the chancellor a disarming smile out of nowhere, like my situation amuses him. "Just let me see it. Then I'll be on my way."