12.

We have the capability of giving so much love and also so much pain, and its all tied to our emotions, how loved we are or how darkened in anguish we have become, to inflict on others what they inflicted on us.

°~|

Carter.

The legends of the direwolves are true, the first of our kind, powerful wolves whose power was equally stunning, before us all they were there, the blue blood, long before we werewolves were ever to exist, serenity prevailed amongst these creatures, the goddess had charged them with taking care and watching over humanity in its darkest ages, they took their charge seriously and they prevailed in truly guarding humanity from threats outside and threats within their own selves, it wasn't just ferocity and strength that kept humanity safe, it was also their unique gifts, the seers of old, the empaths, the dream weavers, the healers, the spirit guides, these were their gifts and with those, humanity was kept safe from all dangers, until one day the dire wolves wished to be part of man's life, be able to procreate and nurture like their charge.

Seeing this, the goddess granted them the ability to shift, to become human once every full moon, and they in turn found worthy human companions who could carry their seed, and that is how the first werewolf was birthed. Generations upon generations later, the power of the direwolves was forgotten, so was their power, but there are families with direct connection to some of the most powerful blue blood that they couldn't forget, the Amari, Drake, Silva only to mention a few but even so these names have been dissolved in history because of the danger that lurks within and around us if they were to be discovered.

Whoever of my grandchildren is to read this, understand, we Defrays keep these secrets because if they got into the wrong hands, wolves would be exploited, because we are all descendants and if there was a way found to identify strong blue blood, it would not end well for the wolf, our blood not only grants us gifts unlike others but if used right it could be the key to instant healing, longer lifespan beyond that of wolves today and most of all, give them rage, turn them into a blood monger, and that is most of all dangerous, a monger cannot be controlled and it would take several alphas to put down, so as I pass down this knowledge, make sure that no one ever abuses the blue blood, for it will end in blood and death.

I didn't mean to keep going on repeat like a broken record over what I had read but I couldn't help it, my grandmother had kept this secret with her, taken it to her grave, was this why she was killed, because she wouldn't tell them, or because they had tried prying it out of her but she never budged, they had taken everything from her and all that was left was taking her life if she refused. "Chocolate lover, are you alright?" My mate asks as I turn to face him on the screen, I didn't try wipe away my tears, he had seen me at my lowest and I'd never hide my pain from him. "Oh my baby, I wish I could hug you right now and lie about how everything was going to be okay from here on." He mumbled and I sheepishly wiped away my tears with a chuckle.

"Say the word husband, say it and I will be on my way." He asserted and I shook my head in refusal, I had to do this, I had to be strong, and he had to be with our children, I was the one who had taken up this mantle, and decided to come, I had to finish the job. "No, our kids need you there and I need to do this on my own, if you come you'll take charge of everything and I will lean on you for everything, and I can't let you carry the burden of my past, you've already carried it well past your limits, what I need to do now is eradicate my past completely and come home my angel, that's what I want." I responded and he smiled with a nod. "Just don't try tackle this whole thing on your own, even if you don't have support there, we are here for you, a call away." He exclaimed and I nodded, I always listened to his words, before he was my mate, he chose to love me, rebuilt me until I was alright with being my self, then he put a ring on it.

"How about we go over the plan now, so you can sleep on it, then tomorrow we put it into action." He suggests and I nod feeling a lot better because he was there to just talk to me and give me perspective. "So from the maps you sent me, I was able to find the location of Selene's lab then the facility." He began, using my grandmother's second name, he knew the first always triggered me, I was still getting over her death. "How did you find it so quickly?" I questioned and the smug smirk on his face meant he had gone back to his extensive military training. "Easy, I used a satellite map to show me all of Kholis bay, then aligned it with your marked map and automatically the spot you marked was void, so I started looking for old torn down infrastructure in Kholis bay, did you know that Kholis Bay had over a thousand bunkers beneath it during the war, and they were all connected—." He explained like the genius he was and also veering off topic because he had an addiction to history of any old place which had army affiliations. So I stayed silent and let him geek about, it was cute watching him ramble.

"Uh babe, you're making that face." He finally noticed. "What face?" I innocently asked being as dramatic as I could be with a hand on my chest. "That look you give me when youre about to devour me whole, like triple fudge chocolate cake, with a bit of drool." He explained making me blush. "No I'm not." I retorted and he scoffed. "So why are you blushing, and why am I—." He moved the camera and I saw his member straining his sweatpants, my husband was well, and I mean well endowed. "Hard." He finished making my cheeks even more so red. "Okay fine, I admit it, you look so scrumptious when you ramble off in that sexy tone." I confessed. "Ah haah, got you." He cheered in triumph and we both laughed, how I missed this us, it was all I ever wanted, so after a few moments of flirting and laughter, we went back to business.

"So I found a building, its surrounded by forest, well it used to be surrounded, it was torn down almost two decades ago but its still using power." He informed and there was only one building that could be using power that was surrounded by woods. "Is it a hospital?" I asked and he perked up. "Yeah, how did you know?" He mumbled and it was my turn to smirk like a genius. "Say it angel, you've lost the aesthetic already." He shot me down and I rolled my eyes. "I thought about it when I was marking out the map, they need a big space, easily accessible to wolves, never humans, needs power, needs to be abandoned and where no one wouldn't think of looking, an old hospital in pack territory was the right place." I explained and if my mate could kiss me, he would. "Brilliant as always." He praised and I blushed again.

"So we now know where the kids are, we need a layout of the building, how to get in, how to get out." I muttered and my laptop dinged with several messages. "I looked around in the old records of Kholis bay and found the original blue prints of the hospital from its underground facility to its fourth floor, so if they tore down the upper part, they never tore down the basements, which I already sent you a detailed and recent map of." He explained and now all I wanted was to hug him and blow him for his hard work. "How did I get so lucky with a multi talented man such as yourself." I teased and he made smooches with his lips. "Papa!" That was Wayne on the other side most likely awake for potty. "I love you chocolate lover." He exclaimed with nothing but adoration in his eyes. "I love you more my angel." I replied just as he gave me more smooches and not wanting him to have to deal with Wayne's tantrum I cut the call.

Looking at my bed I saw the books I had read, they had to leave Kholis bay and I knew the safest place they could be in was Louisville with my pack, so I quickly grabbed  a box, stashed them all in and sealed it, first thing tomorrow, I was mailing them, by nightfall tomorrow my angel should have them, as I stood up to go check on Tori and Tai, I knew they hadn't slept much, just opening the door, I was faced with two alphas and a beta who all seemed to have questions, damn wolf hearing. "We are helping."

+++

Saint_Jay