Chapter 28

Dedicated to itskailynboyd for being a perceptive and intuitive reader!

Stepping out of the shower, I took one of the incredibly fluffy towels off of the rack and began drying my hair. The woodsy botanical scent of the hotel body wash lent a clean fragrance to the air, and I inhaled deeply, savoring it.

Then, meeting my gaze in the mirror, I fought a moment of blind panic.

Not about dinner. No, I trusted that Dwayne would be a perfect gentleman and a competent cook.

No, it wasn't that....

Clutching the plush white terrycloth, I thought about tonight, about the idea that I'd had.

It was either going to go over incredibly well or be a horrifically awkward fiasco.

Only one way to find out...

Glancing at my phone, I saw that it was closer to five than I'd expected, and I finished getting ready in a bit of a rush.

I was tucking my lip gloss into my purse when there was a knock at the door. Resting the strap on my shoulder, I walked over and opened it, revealing a deliciously casual Dwayne, smelling fresh from his own shower.

My heart leapt at the sight, and I was helpless to stop the massive smile spreading over my face.

Goddess, I missed him.

"Hi."

"Hey," he began, then paused as he took in the sight of me. "You look amazing." The heat of his gaze scorched me, and as he looked me over, it felt like his eyes left fire in their wake.

Nervously, I smoothed my hands down my torso. "You like it?" After way too much deliberation, I'd finally settled on wearing the dress I'd bought at the boutique. The soft, light fabric and the airy sundress style made it perfect for a summer dinner date.

"I love it."

"Good," I smirked, "'cuz you bought it."

His brow creased in confusion, and I laughed. "Come on, I'll explain on the way."

As the door latch clicked behind me, I caught his hand in mine.

"...and this entire exchange took place with you naked except for my leather jacket."

"Yup."

"Huh. That-" he sounded a little breathless. "that is an interesting mental image."

I shook my head. "Get your mind out of the gutter." I scolded.

Squeezing my hand, he replied, "Never."

Hiding my smile, I turned to look out the window. The road we were on was lined with densely packed trees, but I could see the lake off to my right in brief flashes through the foliage.

"Are we close?"

"We're here."

Glancing over, I saw the intersection approaching on the left as Dwayne slowed and turned. The paved driveway was steep, leading up the hill into the overwhelming greenery of the woods.

Breathing in, I luxuriated in Dwayne's scent. I seemed to have built up a bit of a tolerance – it wasn't as intoxicating as it had been the first few times we'd met, but it still made me feel irrationally happy when I was around him.