Chapter 391: Courage

It was Mia’s birthday. No wonder she had asked Tanya to bake her a cake, and even said a prayer before eating it.

Oh, right.

He had slept with Hillary right after he slept with her back then, hadn’t he?

It was all too normal that their children’s birthdays would be so close to each other’s.

She bit her lip.

It had also been her child’s birthday five days ago!

She didn’t even know where her child might be wandering lost in the world, yet here she was, celebrating Mia’s birthday?

Indescribable pain and misery made Tanya’s expression instantly change.

She stared at Mia blankly.

Mia was terribly nervous. The puzzled girl looked at Tanya and asked, “W-what’s wrong, Ms. Turner? Are you upset?”

She pushed Joel and said, “Daddy, hurry up and kiss Ms. Turner! She’ll cheer up if you do that!”

Joel: “…”

Tanya: “…”

Joel didn’t know the reason for Tanya’s sudden change in behavior, but he knew that she likely held a grudge against Mia’s existence all this time.

He lowered his head and slowly said, “I’m sorry.”

He was sorry.

Five years ago, he had felt even more apologetic toward her.

If he hadn’t gotten himself drunk, become muddleheaded, and ended up sleeping with Hillary, how would he have gotten her pregnant and ended up letting her give birth to Mia?

No, to be honest, he hadn’t even known that she was pregnant.

Hillary understood him very well. She knew that he would definitely make her abort the child if he were to know, so she had secretly gone into hiding.

It wasn’t until ten months later that she had finally returned with Mia.

He had done a DNA test when he saw the child—she was indeed his daughter. As such, he could only acknowledge her. That was probably the one and only time he had acted so spinelessly.

His heart had softened when he saw the child.

It was as if the child had a lot of affinity with him.

When Tanya heard his apology, her shame and anger made her eyes redden. She was about to yell at him when Mia suddenly held her hand and said, “I’ll kiss you if Daddy won’t, Ms. Turner. Don’t be mad anymore, okay?”

Tanya lowered her head. When her eyes met Mia’s timid eyes that looked as if she was trying to please her, her fury instantly extinguished.

Indeed.

She had only lost her child because she hadn’t kept an eye on it. What did it have to do with Joel or Mia?

In fact, Joel didn’t even know that she had given birth to his child!

Tanya lowered her head and stared at Mia.

She was just a pitiful little girl.

Tanya suddenly said, “Wait a minute.”

She turned and went upstairs.

In addition to her own bedroom, she had also prepared another two children’s rooms on the upper floor. One was a boy’s room and the other a girl’s.