//decisions//

Chap was written on my phone, so it's gonna be messy and lazy. Buckle up botchez 👹👹🥰

——-

I swayed on my feet as the afternoon sun bore down on me. "Where...am I?"

——-

"Well? What's your choice?" I stared down at X's hand once again as I felt the weight of my options.

"I..." I started weakly. I could go back. Without any more work. It would be over. iIf I refuse this choice now, I probably won't get another chance to make a new promise.

And yet...

"I refuse."

Maybe I just wasn't ready to say goodbye to Sonju and Mujika. Maybe it was because of the nervous twist in my gut. Or maybe I was just being a coward again. Regardless, I turned down X's deal.

"...are you sure about this?" the deity spoke darkly.

I nodded, though I wasn't any more sure of my decision. "...Yeah."

Now, X groaned. And then sighed. "Well, I tried." they chuckled drily. "Very well." the demon deity raised a hand towards me. "Just don't come crying if you regret it."

And then the seven walls folded in on me, and i was struck with the feeling of falling. I squinted as I awoke on the ground, staring up at the sky as the sun peeked through my eyelashes.

"Home sweet home..." I muttered as I blinked the fog out of my eyes, finding myself in the midst of the capital city. It was quiet– peaceful, even, as citizens bustled around me on an average day.

And then, from the wall, an explosion rocked the ground and a plume of fire rose to the sky. Immediately, citizens sprang from their houses and stopped in the streets. "Shit!" I seethed, looking at the sun.

I realized the time– it was nearly afternoon, and the bandit's attack would be happening soon, if it hadn't already.

There was a clamour of fighting from the direction of the fire- the East, and screams erupted from the West. The citizens began to panic as the clamouring grew in volume.

From the West side of the street came a shriek of pain. I whipped around to see who it had come from, and through the chaos and bustling bodies recognized a bandit, having sliced the head off a citizen.

I shoved my way through the screaming demons until I broke out of the crowd, where a single bandit stood over the bodies of the handful of demons it had managed to cut down.

I ducked and ran towards it, catching them off guard. I drove a knife under their mask and into their core before they could fight back. I glanced around myself and then ran towards a fruit stall. I jumped and pulled myself up onto a canopy, surveying the chaos as more bandits were pushing themselves into the city.

"Everyone!" I yelled down at the citizens. "Evacuate to the castle!" I called above the panic, praying at least a few of them heard me. "They'll provide shelter and aid until it's safe!" as the demons began to move towards the castle, they started to stampede. "Please move carefully!" I begged, panic rising in my chest. "You'll trample children!"

The trampling subdued, though everyone still pushed and shoved.

As soon as they were well on their way I climbed down from the canopy, hitting the ground. I prayed that when a bunch of hysteric citizens made their way to the castle, they'd be let in. Mujika cared for her people, and I hoped that'd be reason enough.