Twenty eight

"There ceremony will be soon. They'll have to rush it, before the alphas birthday..."

Zayn looks up at the sky, biting his lower lip in thought. There sitting in the garden behind their little house, the sun almost down and only a little light being provided to them. "Maybe the eclipse?"

"The eclipse?" Liam asks, confused on what that has to do on the subject.

"Yeah, it's an important ceremony, they wouldn't miss out on the chance to have it on such a historic event. There hasn't been an eclipse in twenty five years..."

"Since the witch was married..." Liam remembers, eyes wide at the revelation.

"Yeah. How old are you when you get your powers?" Zayn asks, the thought suddenly dawning in him.

"Twenty one."

"The alpha's turning twenty one, on Christmas Eve, two days after the eclipse." Zayn connects the dots, revealing Alpha Mark's plan. Liams face falls. "We should tell Marcel."

"Do we...never mind." Liam trails off, looking to his grimoire.

"'Do we' what?" Zayn places his hand on top of Liam's, trying to make eye contact.

"Do we have to tell Marcel? I mean, the more the read on the prophecy, the more it changes. I don't think his source is a reliable one." Liam meets Zayn's gaze. "I mean, if he's so against there mating and just the idea of cross species mating, why are we even helping him? You're a wolf, I'm a witch. We basically going against our own..."

Zayn stays silent for a moment, Liam hopeful his he's coming to his senses.

"He saved me... after what Des did... he found me and saved me. I owe him." Zayn whispered, keeping his voice quiet. He looks at Liam, a hopeless look in his eyes.

"You don't have to owe him anything. You've already done too much for him. He made you kidnap your first love. I helped him..." Liam chokes a little, eyes tearing up. "... just because he says you owe, doesn't mean you have to live up to it, Zayn."

"How can we even stop him now? We won't be the only ones you figure this out with the eclipse coming." Zayn tightens his grip on Liam's hand.

"I don't know, babe. But we can only try."