5

"Waaaahhh... that bastard Jimin used to do that for me!"

Prosecutor Jeon Jungkook didn't know how he ended up in a local Soju place with a drunk Prosecutor Ahn that evening. He pushed his glasses down and massaged under his eyes as a wailing Ahn Heiran resumed the tale of her Exs.

"He even used to do foot massages for me and made the best dried pollack soup...boohoo... He was one of the good ones, unlike that cheating scoundrel Kijoon!" Heiran straightened up, her misery switching to anger in seconds, "But he was an attention wh*re! Said he was tired! That I wasn't paying attention to him! I swear I didn't want to make him wait! I tried to make time for him! Even on that anniversary, I took a half-day off for him but the darned traffic block! It was all because of that traffic block! Aargh..."

"I see..." Jungkook drawled inattentively as he sipped on plain water. This was not how he planned to spend his evening for the day. He would have much rather spent it on pouring over case files he still hasn't examined and unearthing new clues his oblivious partner may have missed out on. But Ahn Heiran was an adamant individual and it was impossible to go against what she wanted. Prosecutor Jeon watched as the time ticked on his wristwatch, the miserable cries of Heiran fading into white noise as the CCTV footage he had seen that afternoon occupied his thoughts. Heiran chugged down her nth glass of Soju and slammed the shot glass onto the table as she whimpered, "Our timing was just never right..."

"Mm, timing is important," Jungkook replied absent-mindedly, checking his phone for any important notifications.

"How do you know that, Mister? Have you ever dated before?" Heiran snapped.

"Three times." Jungkook hadn't meant to encourage the drunken woman but alas, he had piqued her curiosity. Ahn Heiran's wailing took a momentary break. "Oh, that's surprising..."

Jungkook didn't understand what that was supposed to mean; nevertheless, he stayed quiet watching her chug down even more Soju. She slammed the table and hissed as the alcohol burned her throat. "Well, congratulations on your long-lasting relationship."

Now, he didn't know why she had to take that bitter tone with him but he brushed it aside, having better things to think about such as the proceedings of the case.

"You got it wrong, Prosecutor. I'm not in any relationship right now." He muttered out, examining the footage he had procured again in hopes of finding a clue. But Heiran didn't plan on letting go of such a crucial piece of information. She quickly leaned forward, invading way more than necessary into his face, "Why is that, Prosecutor?"

Jungkook leaned away from drunken Heiran, blinking in surprise at the sudden invasion. "Prosecutor Ahn."

"Answer my question." Heiran slurred stubbornly.

He internally questioned once again how he ended up in that situation. Maybe he should really reconsider his life choices. He sighed out, annoyed. "My last two relationships didn't work out."

"That's unsurprising..."

A man of great patience he was, he kept quiet, not wanting to indulge in any conversations that he was sure would take a nasty turn. Heiran gulped down the rest of the alcohol in the bottle and wiped the liquid that drizzled down the corner of her mouth. Suddenly, she straightened up, her eyes growing wide, "You said the last two relationships failed. What about the first one then?"

A pin-drop silence befell as a tense atmosphere suddenly enveloped the duo in its cold embrace. Jungkook froze at the question, his fingers slowly curling to fists as he gazed back at Heiran. A million repressed memories came flooding back before he could hold them back, vivid colorful visions he held close to heart; memories that still remained just as clear as the time he had experienced them. Even after years, they had the same intensity as before, tugging at his heartstrings, erupting a million goosebumps all over his body.