Chapter 6 - Stop, please stop

TW: self harm

We get Baylor in the car, and Kingston rides in the back with her

We get Baylor in the car, and Kingston rides in the back with her. I hear him whisper things in her ear while she messes around with her stuff animal.

I see her lean into Kingston from the rear view mirror, taking comfort in his arms.

I bet she's never had this comfort, and if she has, definitely not since Frank came into her life. She doesn't take to new things very easily, but she bask in the new comfort she gets being in her guardian's arms.

When I pull into my clinic, I can tell Baylor starts to get nervous at the big building. When I park and look back, she starts shaking her head.

"I don't want to go in."

Kingston gives her a small hug, "Baby, I'm going to be with you, and Beckett, and we will not leave your side. You don't have to do anything alone."

She looks at him with pitiful wide eyes, "Promise?"

"Yes, baby girl, I promise."

I help Baylor out of the car, being very gentle with helping her stand up. Then we all walk toward the door. As we step inside, she gets closer to me, and I put my arm around her. I assume she's nervous to be around all the nurses and doctors she sees.

This clinic is a public medical center, but we do have a floor upstairs that is just used for business reasons only , and a very limited amount of people are allowed up there.

I nod at some of the nurses and doctors that give me smiles or wave. I continue to walk through sets of doors, making my way to a room with a bit more seclusion for Baylor.

When I make it to a room, I have Baylor sit on the bed, and ask if she feels comfortable taking her shirt off. She nods her head, and Kingston helps her slowly take the shirt off.

She's twelve years old and hasn't started puberty yet so there's really nothing to show, though she does have a tiny sports bra on.

I get the ultrasound machine in the corner and turn it on.

"Okay Baylor, I'm going to put this gel on your tummy, it's quite cold, Sweetness. This machine right here is going to show me what's inside you. Is this okay that I put this on your tummy?"

She nods, obviously anxious about being here.

Kingston takes BoBo and puts it bedside her on the bed, away from the gel so it doesn't get dirty. He then takes ahold of her hand.

I put the machine on her stomach, trying to be as light as possible. She whimpers a little.

"I'm sorry, my little one. I know it's a bit sore."

I try to be as fast as I can. What I'm seeing now is all normal, just a little swelling.

I take the wand off her and get a paper towel to clean the gel off her.