Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

9 Years Later:

“You look more tired than usual, something up?” I froze in mid-way of reaching into my locker.

“N-no, everything’s fine. The thunder last night kept me up.” I manage to stutter out. I didn’t want her knowing, because no one knew. I shakily retrieved my books, hoping she didn’t see past my obvious lie.

She looked slightly suspicious but I carried on shoving random books into my school bag, not sparing her a glance. Of course I was tired, I was up all last night trying to put my mother to bed, much to her distaste. Her reluctance was obvious as she hit and screamed at me. It took about two hours to finally successful for her to pass out.

“I got to go Leigh, I’ll see you tomorrow.” I abruptly told her, slamming my locker door shut. I took off in the direction of the exit, without sparing her one last glance.

I never let anyone close enough to even give them the ability to find out how fucked up my life is. Leigh is about the closest thing to a friend I have, and that’s saying a lot, because she knows near absolutely nothing about me.

Taking in a gasp of fresh air, made my heart relax, she didn’t know anything. I took off in the direction of my secret spot. Well, it wasn’t really a secret, but it was the only safe place I knew off.

With each step I took away from the school, made it a step closer to my escape. It was a boardwalk that over looked a lake which was surrounded by a maze of cliffs. At the start of the boardwalk there laid a beautiful meadow of trees and breath-taking flowers.

I took a right at the little entrance that led into the meadow. Each step my shoes made, released a fraction more of the smile that was pushing its way to the surface. I found myself walking right down to the very back where I knew the Lake would be.

There it was.

The pure, sparkling water was inviting me. It was intriguing me. I easily walked straight over to the boardwalk and sat myself down, finally at peace. I liked it like this it was calming and just easier.

It was quiet and peaceful. I stared at the flawless water, as it engulfed me, but then something, not something, someone caught my attention from the corner of my eye. Their silhouette was mirroring off the tip of one of the cliffs surrounding the lake.

It looked as if they were indecisive about a decision by the way they were walking back and forth, making the shape of a circle. I was convinced they had not seen me, by the way they never glimpsed at me. He seemed to finally set on a decision because he stood at the very edge of the cliff.

I knew what he was going to do, not because it was obvious, but because that was me every day.

He was contemplating suicide.

What I did next I didn’t let myself think about the aftermath that was yet to come, I didn’t even wavering on thinking I knew this person.

I abruptly stood up and screamed, “Stop.”

His silhouette pulled to halt, still staring down at the water, “Don’t do it.” I whispered to myself, but with the burning silence around us, I was pretty sure he heard. My heart was thundering out of chest with the agony of the wait, he didn’t move and I don’t think he wanted to.

After all, he was just caught in his most vulnerable time, a time where it was enough, things were unbearable, he decided on a final decision. He was exposed, to a complete stranger.

I could only see the faint wind whipping through his slightly tossed hair, as his broad build stood painfully still. He was too far away for me to actually make out his features, but somehow, I still knew he wasn’t lonely in the ladies department.