Amongst the Roses // C.B. [blurb]

warnings: fluff, kissing, garden parties, regency romance, established relationship, i worry that the ending might feel a bit rushed lol.

------

Lady Blackclough's annual garden party was an event marked on everyone's calendars through the summer season. Her Camelia's tended to steal the show at every afternoon tea held in her gracious, grand home, and she could not help but boast of her Dutch tulips that she had imported from the Netherlands at quite an expense.

However, it was her roses that made Lady Blackclough increasingly famous amongst the ton. Her garden held row after row of meticulously looked after roses bushes in varying different colours: from the romantic red to the pure pink, to the rare species carefully made by botanists across the country. With her annual garden party, more than half the guests came to see her roses in full bloom, standing in and amongst them, bathing in their rich and indulgent scent.

As you stand in the garden, a tepid cup of tea in your hand, you cannot help but to wish you were anywhere else. You could not ignore the beauty of Lady Blackclough's garden, but you had more pressing things on your mind – all to do with a certain Bridgerton with blue eyes that hypnotised you with every meeting.

Nodding absently along with the conversation between your elderly aunt and her dear friend, you let your mind wander to Colin, knowing full well he was to be in attendance this afternoon. You were somewhat disappointed he had not found you sooner.

"Lady Harewood," Colin greets your aunt, surprising you from your thoughts, bowing slightly as he turns to your aunt's dear friend. "Lady Walters – how do you do?"

He appears as if summoned, you think to yourself.

"We're very well, Mr. Bridgerton. And yourself?" Your aunt replies, smiling lovingly at the younger gentleman.

"All the better for seeing you both," Colin answers smoothly, gaining a titter and a flutter of fans from both women. He smiles in good humour, moving ever closer to you. When the women return to their conversation, he turns to you, his smile increasing in size. "Come with me," Colin whispers, lips brushing the shell of your ear.

"Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise," He answers, hooking his pinkie finger around yours and tugging, urging you to follow him.

With an apologetic smile, you make your excuses to your elderly aunt and the woman she was talking to, citing the need for a fresh cup of tea. When out of their site, you duck behind the nearest bush, following closely behind Colin's hastily retreating form.

"Colin!" You whisper-shout, daring not to raise your voice any higher for the fear of being caught alone with your love before any formal announcement of an engagement. "Colin!" You shout again. "You're going too fast; I can't keep up in this dress."

Colin slows his steps, finding an opening in the roses bushes. An iron bench painted white rests beneath a red rose bush, an idyllic place for a rest. Colin turns on the spot when he hears your footfall behind him; a smile adorns his face as his heart begins to race.

"I've been thinking about you all day," He confesses, his hands bunching in the material of your dress.

"I must confess the same," You whisper, your hands running up the length of his jacket, feeling the lush material under your fingertips.

"Can I kiss you?"

You nod, offering your consent by tilting your face to meet his.

Colin meets you halfway; pressing his lips to yours in an unhurried motion, pretending as if he has all the time in the world to kiss you and do absolutely nothing else. His hands leave your waist, travelling up the expanse of your back before settling on cradling your face. His teeth nip at your bottom lip, asking for something more which you grant. He tastes of the earl grey tea served with the lemon and ginger biscuits; it wasn't something you thought you could want more of, but tasting it on Colin, it leaves you gasping for more – pushing against the man, as if daring him to go further.

At the last moment, you feel a smile grow on Colin's lips as if he was unable to keep the happiness surging through his veins dampened any longer. With the smile firmly in place, Colin fixes a hand to the back of your head, his kiss becoming more insistent as his happiness and joy continues to burn.

As you pull away from the blue-eyed gentleman, a giggle bursts from your lips. "I didn't know I caused such a reaction."

"What?" Colin asks aghast.

Pressing another kiss to his cheek, you whisper against his heated skin. "You're so cute when you blush."

A groan escapes Colin's lips as he touches his forehead to yours. "Please," He begs, "Never let my brothers hear those words from your lips."

Another laugh falls from your mouth. "Agreed. I don't think you would ever recover from the fallout."

"I don't think I would."

"Do we have to go back?" You whisper, clutching Colin's jacket lapels as sadness fills your tone. "Can't we stay here forever?"

"I'm afraid we must go back. I don't think Lady Blackclough would appreciate finding us in her roses."

"I like it when it's just us, amongst the roses."

"That's settled it then."

"What's settled what?" You ask, confusion and curiosity alighting your tone.

"We must have a rose garden in our own home."

"Must we?"

"We must," Colin nods seriously, pecking your lips once, twice, three times before continuing. "We must have a rose garden for us to get lost in once in a while."

"I like the sound of that."

Colin hums happily; contentment warming his heart and spreading through his chest. He liked the sound of the roses too.