-Betrayal-

They meet at the ancient cave of Raygor, hidden in the mountains north-east of the burning plains where the last battle of the Daemon war has ended. The earth scorched by battle, the boots of a thousand men kick up dust, filling every gap in their armour. Not a single weed grows, or animal stirs. The light of the moon reflects off the smooth walls, giving off a blood-red hue.

A tall, slender figure strides towards the mouth of the cave, with the smell of blood and burnt flesh filling his nostrils. His armour scratched and dented, his body and mind aching from the final battle.

He spots Arrimis and Aisha standing a few footsteps inside, their blue armour reflecting the faint light of the moon; both with broad shoulders and stocky legs, one taller than the other.

He steps inside the dank and mouldy tunnel with the darkness at his back. His sharp eyes can see the ancient scripture, feel the hand-carved runes as he runs his fingers along the walls, sending a shiver to his core. Closing his eyes, he remembers his teachings from long ago. His nose wrinkles as the putrid stink of death mixed with the metallic scent of blood. It invades him with each step he takes inside this wretched place of life.

"Folknor!" Arrimis booms. "You look tired, my friend."

Folknor lifts his weary head. "I feel it too." A short laugh escapes him before he continues in his Kankorian lilt. "It will soon be over, I hope. Where are the others?"

He looks around, not waiting for an answer. His eyes bleary, the space between them shifts and sways. He turns back to Aisha and heads towards her, his body jerking as if pulled by a string. By the Gods, I need to sleep. Squinting in the gloom, he shudders as his senses sharpen again. He shuffles back and forth, lifting little puffs of crushed bone-dust from the ground.

Aisha looks at Arrimis frowning. "We had thought they were with you, Folknor?"

He looks up, his green eyes brightening in the gloom. "No. I saw Demitri and Dana on the far side of the battlefield at the end. They were helping with the wounded. But of Manu and Maya, I have not seen them since we began our assault." Where could they be?

Aisha tilts her head, the reflection of the moon, turning her blue eyes a deep shade of violet. "Strange, they were with us at the beginning. Then we were separated shortly after the first assault." She glances at Arrimis, her king. "We heard murmurs about Freya's... end." She looks at Folknor, eyes downcast. "I am sorry, old friend. She was a great queen, Folknor. Noble. And a magnificent woman." Aisha bites her lip hard enough to draw blood. She shuffles her feet. "Did you find her Brightstone?" she whispers. "You know we—"

The sound of heavy footsteps echoes around the cave. They freeze, looking into the darkness as the stench of the cave envelops their senses. Every sense picks up the faint grey glint and the sound of clanking armour. They relax, not realising each of them had reached for their weapons.

"Demitri and Dana. They may have seen the others," says Folknor.

He watches as the new arrivals reach the mouth of the cave. He studies them, his eyes picking out the filth and scratches from battle. Demitri carries his helm in the crook of his arm, his short red hair seeming to light his way. Dana, a hair breathe shorter than her king, follows at his heels; her helm still on, but unable to keep her long, fiery hair at bay as it flows out behind her.

They stop short of the entrance in unison, their nostrils flared, taking in the rancid scent of spilt entrails. "I hate this place, Demitri," whispers Dana. "It reminds me of all that has been. We need to finish this and be done with it."

Demitri flicks his head towards the cave. "Yes, but we are missing Manu and Maya. And Folknor is here without his queen. Where is Freya?"

"I know not, my love. Wherever she is, we must be on our guard," she says, removing her helm.