CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.

It's the second time this week that Maddox has sneaked out of Addison's hotel room, and the truth is, she feels a little guilty. Yes, she remembers with a smile all the nights she's spent together with her, getting to know each other a little better, telling each other things she wouldn't tell just anyone, laughing just because of those sillier conversations. But she also knows that things will be complicated outside that bubble they have created together, inside that hotel room. There will be the stares, the comments at the hospital but, most importantly, what her friends will think. Maddox tries to remind herself dozens of times that she won't care what they think of her, because she's not the only one dating an attending, but the little voice in her head that it's the first time she's had those friends keeps telling her that she'll be able to separate from Addison before she'll be able to separate from them.

She doesn't want to think about Cristina's judgmental look, or Izzie's inquisitive one, or George's surprise and stammering when he tries to say something, or even Meredith's confused look when she tells her he's —kinda— dating her —kinda— boyfriend's ex-wife. Alex knows to some extent what's going on, being the first person Maddox hasn't been afraid of his reaction, so she spends those days avoiding conversations with the group of interns as much as she can, because part of her thinks her looks will give away everything her mouth is silent about.

"Oh my God," She's still zipping up her jacket when a voice behind her startles her.

Maddox panics, so she doesn't turn for a few seconds, and when she does, surprise overtakes terror. "Mark?"

The man gives her a smile, halfway between sly and incredulous, and looks back at the door to the room Maddox has come out of. "Tell me this is not true. You've gotta be kidding me," Maddox gulps, but Mark's laughter echoes down the hallway and she reaches out to shush him.

"It's not what it looks like," Maddox tries to say, in an attempt to shut him up again.

"Yeah, I wasn't born yesterday. That wasn't Addison's room, and you weren't just coming out of it at... What? Seven in the morning? You dirty, dirty mistress."

"I'm not a mistress!" Maddox shouts between whispers. "What are you even doing here?"

"Turns out you were right: one does get used to rain in Seattle," Mark smirks. "I'm staying here while I find an apartment. But hey, I see you trying to avoid the topic. I didn't even know Addison swung that way," Mark's smile grows bigger as the blush on Maddox's cheeks becomes more noticeable. "Pretty complicated situation, huh? I bet your friends don't even know you're sleeping with—"

"I'm not sleeping with anybody!" Maddox interrupts again, her ears red with a mixture of anger and embarrassment. "I'm not. But they don't know anything. So I'd kindly ask you to keep this to yourself. At least until I find a way to tell them this."

"Oh, come on. Who do you think I am? Derek was my best friend, but Addison was also my friend. I couldn't possibly let slide that you're in a kinda secret relationship, could I?" Maddox clenches her jaw as Mark laughs. "I'm joking. I liked you the first time we saw each other. I'm not saying anything to anybody. Unless..."

"Unless what?"

"Do you have any free seats in your car? I could keep my mouth shut in exchange for a ride."

Maddox looks at her watch urgently, zipping her jacket up for good and putting her backpack on his back. "I, uh, I'm running late. Dr. Bailey will kill me if I'm late again."

Mark smiles. "No worries. Where I'm going is on your way to Seattle Grace. I'll tell you where to stop," Mark nods to the elevator as he starts walking, encouraging Maddox to follow him. "Come on. Wouldn't want you to be late."