Chapter Three

Over the next two days I was almost prepared to go to trial. Miranda and I had already discussed her court meeting that would happen in a few weeks. Having no other meetings gave me lots of time to work on Brinda's case. Mr. Dubois signed the divorce papers without a hitch thankfully.

I was sitting on my living room floor, my computer sitting on the marble coffee table with papers scattered all over it. I was wearing a black silk satin night dress with lace and my hair was tied into a lazy bun.

These cases were really important to me, so I spent every moment of free time I could working on them. I made sure to finish most of my paperwork for other cases so I could have quick meetings with them.

I held the cap of the pen in my mouth as I signed a paper, requesting evidence from the prosecutor. They were going to use everything little thing they could to win this, so I had to gather as much information on their marriage and then them separately.

There was music playing in my ear from the headphones, but I could still hear the slam of the front door. I jumped, almost messing up my signature. Oliver walked into the kitchen mumbling something under his breath.  I frowned my eyebrows and watched as he grabbed himself a beer.

Oliver walked over to me in the living room and set his briefcase on the couch, loosening his tie with his free hand. "We're on the same level of success, right?" He questioned causing me to slightly raise my eyebrows.

"I mean I assume so. You have your company and I'm one of the very few best lawyers." I shrugged and went and went back to researching about the jury. Sadly, he was a he who went by the name of Judge Charles and who also dismissed a lot of his rape cases.

"You assume?" He took a seat beside me on the floor. I sighed and pulled my headphones out.

"What happened?" I clammed-shut my computer and turned to face him to show I was all ears.

"So, at work I was having lunch with a few work friends when everyone's phones started blowing up. That's when the topic of your status, business wise, was starting to overcome mine. And I don't know I guess I felt some type of way about."

"So, you were butt-hurt because some guys said I was better than you?"

He drank some of his beer. "When you put it like that you make it sound bad."

I scoffed. "No shit. It sounds like me being more successful than you is a problem. Would you rather them degrade me and say that I don't work hard?"

He stood up and ran a hand through his hair. "I'm not saying that, Athena. Why are you trying to turn this into an argument?"

"How am I trying to start an argument? Are you not proud of my success?" My face expression changed into a bit of a saddened one and I move onto the sofa.

"Of course, I'm proud of you! But I just don't think your success overpowers mine." He shrugged.

"Would it be such a bad thing if it did?"

He scoffed once more and rolled his eyes. "If men are looking at me as weak then yes. I'm a man and you're a-" He cut himself off.

"No please finish your sentence. I'm a what?"

He sighed deeply and went to the kitchen to put his bear away. "I was just saying that they should be talking about me more."

"You sound like a sexist." I said and followed him to the kitchen. "Why is it so wrong for people to be hyping up my success more than yours? If it were you then I'd be proud people at my workplace thought so highly of you." I folded my arms across my chest and looked at him confused but also hurt.