We're Jinxed - Chapter 13

"Vi, wait!"

The large doors of the exit burst open with a loud bang as the rain pelted relentlessly against the polished stone all around them, the sleek surface of the marble buildings reflecting the bright streetlights illuminating the streets around them. No one was around. No one was out.

Natalia hadn't missed a beat when Vi had stormed out of the room, dissatisfied with the council's talk of compromise, the red-haired girl's hands trembling as she clenched them so hard it looked to Natalia like she might rip the wrappings.

"Wait!" Caitlyn yelled, shocking Natalia as she looked back to see Caitlyn catching up to her, doing her best to keep the rain out of her eyes as she held an arm over her forehead. "Where are you going?"

Vi's answer was more of a retort than anything. "I don't know. Back where I came from?"

Natalia bit her lip as she walked as fast as she could with her crutches, avoiding them slipping on the pavement as best she could. "Vi, please, hold on..."

"Seems like that's what everyone up here wants," Vi ignored Natalia's pleads and kept walking, Caitlyn stopping to help Natalia move quicker.

Caitlyn's determination couldn't be shook. "I can fix this," she tried, her brows upturned in despair.

"You can't!" Vi turned on the two, whipping around and getting in Caitlyn's face. Her tone was absolute, filled with venom. "This is how things are. How they've always been. I was... so stupid to think it could change."

"Vi, I know it's hard," Natalia's voice was strained as she tried to be heard through the aggressive rain. "But you've both been trying, that's something—"

"There must be something else we can do," Caitlyn's voice was gentle, yet insistent as she continued Natalia's sentence. "Some other way. We'll make a new plan. We have to try."

Vi's eyes flared with so many emotions as they flit between Natalia and Caitlyn that Natalia had to look away from the intensity of them.

"We tried. Okay?" Natalia could feel Vi trying to run, trying to slip away from the problem as she listened to her speak. "It wasn't enough. Topside and bottom. Oil and water. That's all there is."

There was quiet after that, Caitlyn's breath catching in her throat as Natalia watched tears swell in her eyes. The subtle pattering of the oh so befitting rain on the ground was the only sound Natalia could make out, and it was painful.

"What about us?" Caitlyn asked so softly that Natalia thought she had been hearing things. Vi hesitated at Caitlyn's words, her gaze faltering before hardening into stoicism once more.

"Oil and water," Vi whispered ruefully, avoiding Caitlyn's gaze. "Wasn't meant to be."

Natalia couldn't control the wave of anger that welled up inside her chest like a flash flood. "What about your promise?" Natalia said angrily, letting her crutches drop to the ground as she stumbled forward to meet Vi's gaze. "You're just going to disappear? Leave me and Caitlyn? Leave Jinx?"

Vi wouldn't look at Natalia no matter how hard she tried to get her to. She looked to the side, right past Natalia as she grit her teeth.

"Do yourselves a favor, Cupcake, Sweet-cheeks," she said, clearly readying herself to walk away as she turned her backs to the two women. "Go back to that big, shiny house of Caitlyn's, make a life for yourselves. Natalia, I'm sure with Piltover's security you could make it out of Silco's grasp easily. And you both can just... forget about me."

Caitlyn was speechless, but Natalia was seething. "Like Hell I will," Natalie protested, lurching forward to grasp Vi's shoulder and spin her around to face her. "God, fuck you, Vi. I don't want that. Stop sulking and let's figure out a new plan. Don't do this to yourself again!"