Chapter Thirty-One: I'm Not Kidding.

Chapter Thirty-One: "I'm Not Kidding."

THE LAST TWO weeks of November were some of the busiest times of the year. Projects, presentations, preparing for exams filled up my time as I looked over my schedule on one of those nights. Larine had stood behind me, her chin on the top of my hair which I had gotten done over the weekend, switching my braids for faux locs. She'd lowly whistled. "Oh, you're screwed."

Surprisingly, I didn't think I was as days rolled along. Yasmeen and I would bump into Clayton as we went to get coffees, all three of us making our way to the library before Clayton departed ways with us where we would sit to study at the table, waiting for Mariam to appear and sometimes Iman. I'd show up at Professor McCormick's office again the following Friday, intent on asking more questions she didn't seem to mind. I taking a different approach to study that I have gotten from a long conversation with Josiah on the same Friday.

It was Wednesday afternoon when I decided to take a break I stood in the kitchen of 704 with Laurence.

Laurie was chaotic with almost everything he did. Baking included. Cookie batter was splattered on his t-shirt, but he didn't care. We stood side by side, looking down at the cookies inside of the oven that he was planning to sell for another fundraiser.

He shoved a spoon full of chocolate cookie batter in his mouth as I asked the next question in response to us talking about our plans for Christmas breaks. He wasn't planning on going home, opting to visit friends in another part of the province. "And your sister?"

"She's coming with." He said. "I told her to not be so fucking annoying and she'll have a great time."

"That's what every older brother says."

"Not every older brother would invite their little sister to stay with them for two and a half weeks." Laurence shot me a cheeky look. "I'm the best brother ever."

Before he could continue to boost his own ego, the oven went off.

He put his oven-mitt-covered hands on his hips after he took the tray out. The sweet aroma of chocolate chip cookies left a pleased expression on both of our faces. "We can cook."

"We can follow YouTube instructions." 

"We can cook." Laurence corrected, as he grabbed the fan he had retrieved from his room and put it over the cookies.

Just then I heard the front door open and seconds later, Aven entered the kitchen, taking off the hood of his sweater, snow melting on the fabric. He took one look at me, and his expression softened. Both of our busy schedules made it hard to even catch a glimpse of each other. Although I had caught sight of him this weekend when I was at the library, alone for eight minutes, it wasn't for anything longer than a moment and quick kisses that I committed to memory.

I loved it when he looked at me like this. If It was scientifically possible I would have melted to the ground.

He reached out towards the cookies. Laurence slapped his hand. "Wait."

Aven shot him a look. Laurence didn't budge, glaring at Aven. "Wait."

I pointed to the duffle bag. "You were at practice?"

"This morning," Aven said. "Had a group project."

"Speaking of group projects, give me one second, I have to send someone something," Laurence mumbled, looking down at his phone before leaving the room.

The faint sound of his bedroom door closing was Aven's cue as he pulled me towards him, instantly kissing me in a way that made my head rush and my hands grip his shoulders.