House arrest

“I made tea

“I made tea.” Sumiyoshi said while bringing a tray with two cups of tea and some biscuits.

“Oh….thank you.” A gentle voice responded back.

“Whew! He's sound asleep! It appears my wife also fell asleep, I'm sorry! I really am sorry, to ask a visitor like you to watch my child…” He said with a bright smile, looking at Yoriichi carrying a baby in his arms.

“It's no trouble, she must be tired, bearing and raising children is hard.” He replied, giving the baby back to the man and taking one of the tea cups from the tray.

“Y/N was the name of your daughter, am I right? How old is she?” Sumiyoshi asked, a bit awkward thanks to his short answers.

“… Nine.”

“HEY DAD! LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THIS BEETLE I FOUND!” Their conversation was interrupted by a loud and childish voice.

“There she is.” He said calmly, taking another sip of the tea and gently settling the cup down to look at the so-called beetle.

“Are you going to give a name to him?”

“Nah, I'm going to take him back to where he belongs, I just wanted to show it to you!” She responded with a happy smile, he patted her head with a fond expression in response.

After she finally let the poor beetle go, she turned to look at Sumiyoshi, approaching him to look more closely at the child in his arms.

The baby, like he noticed a new presence, sleepily opened his little eyes, staring at her. “Oh, he has red eyes, just like you! How pretty!”

“Aw… I'm so jealous! I wanted to have red eyes like dad too!” He just giggled at her small fit.

“I will just drink this and leave, if we don't, she will eat all the biscuits again.” he commented.

“Don't worry about it! We owe you our lives, if it weren't for you, my child wouldn't have been born!”

Yoriichi just silently took a sip of his tea, not responding to him at all.

“I understand. But I'll tell my children and grandchildren about you guys!”

“That isn't necessary.”

“But, I want someone to remember you, even if I'm just a mere charcoal seller, someday someone will…”

“It's not necessary.” 

He turned to look at the man with an expressionless face. “Sumiyoshi, those who master their trade all arrive at the same place, even if the times changes or the way that place changes, they are certain to reach the same place. You seem to think that I am someone special, but I'm not. I cannot protect anything that's important to me, and I was unable to accomplish even one thing that I should have in this life.”