Chapter Sixty

*I included the music that I listened to while writing this chapter. Feel free to ignore if music while reading isn't your thing!*

 Hunter ~

Once they reached the safehouse, Hunter and Banks helped Kenzie out of the car and into one of the spare bedrooms that Caroline had prepped for her.

Giving her several kisses on her face and neck, Hunter reluctantly walked out of the room, letting Kenzie rest and sleep off the pain medication she'd taken a few hours prior. Part of Hunter hated leaving her and he felt a painful burn in the center of his chest, sending his pulse skyrocketing. He hadn't been away from her since he'd rescued her in the woods and a sudden panic washed over him as he reached the threshold of the bedroom door - a panic he'd never experienced before.

"Go handle business Sir, we've got her." Austin said with Caleb at his side.

"She's gonna sleep for a while. And if she wakes up I'll keep her pain free." Caleb added, with Lainey and Caroline coming up the stairs with more blankets and some food.

She's in good hands. Why can't I walk away?

Pushing out a hard sigh in the doorway, Hunter wrestled with himself and his love for Kenzie.

"Give me your word that you'll come get me if she's in pain or if she asks for me. Even if I'm...busy. I need her to know that she comes first."

"You got it Sir." Marcus echoed from behind Caroline.

It wasn't easy, but Hunter relented and allowed his teammates to take charge of Kenzie and trusted them to care for her the way that he would. The truth was he needed to have a conversation with Banks before he began his time with the Elite Tactical operatives.

Taking heavy steps down the stairs, Hunter motioned for Banks to follow him to the basement which concealed several underground interrogation cells.

"What the fuck was that about in the truck today?" Hunter asked, getting right to the point.

"You don't wanna know man," Banks said, acting as if the words were difficult to say.

"Bullshit. I have to know. Go ahead Banks, piss me off." Hunter encouraged with a deep scowl on his face.

"It was about Rhett. Rhett was brought in as one of my dads operatives when Kenzie was sixteen. He worked alongside my dad kind of like an apprentice since he was only twenty one at the time and freshly dishonorably discharged from the army. Rhett helped my dad with the fucked up drills a simulations that he put Kenzie through which included restraining her in a cell in the dark...sensory deprivation."

Kenzie's terrified of the dark...

"Rhett was supposed to go in and hit a hammer against a sheet of metal near her face to scare her, but he...he decided to help himself to her virginity instead...raped her right then and there since she was restrained and couldn't defend herself. She screamed for help, but the room was soundproofed and underground...I couldn't get to her." 

Reaching up and clutching the back of his neck, Hunter flexed every muscle in his upper body as the words left Banks' mouth, feeling like he was going to come out of his skin as rage pumped through his veins.

"And your dad didn't know?"

"He did...watched it all go down...said it would toughen her up and force her to act more like an adult than a child..."

What the actual fuck? If I could bring him back to life just to watch him die again I would.

"I beat the shit out of Rhett and refused to work with him which is why my dad sent him to work for Jack."