𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. nothing is the same without you.

꧁—— ❦ ——꧂

꧁—— ❦ ——꧂

   " Potter! Weasley! Will you pay attention?"

Professor McGonagall's irritated voiced cracked like a whip through Transfiguration class that Thursday, and Harry and Ron both jumped and looked up.

It was the end of their lesson; they had finished their work; the guinea-fowl they had been changing into guinea-pigs had been shut away in a large cage on Professor McGonagall's desk ( Neville's guinea-pig still had feathers ); they had copied down their homework from the blackboard ( 'Describe, with examples, the ways in which Transforming Spells must be adapted when performing Cross-Species Switches,' ). The bell was due to ring at any moment, and Harry and Ron, who had been having a sword fight with a couple of Fred and George's fake wands at the back of the class, looked up, Ron now holding a tin parrot, and Harry, a rubber haddock.

"Now that Potter and Weasley have been kind enough to act their age." Professor McGonagall said, shooting an angry look at the pair of them as the head of Harry's haddock drooped and silently fell to the floor ( Ron's parrot's beak had severed it moments before ), "I have something to say to you all."

"The Yule Ball is approaching — a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialise with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth-years and above — although you may invite younger students if you wish —"

Lavender Brown let out a shrill giggle. Parvati Patil nudged her hard in the ribs, her face working furiously as she, too, fought a giggle. They both looked around at Harry, who, for all intent and purposes, was as confused as ever. Professor McGonagall ignored them, which Harry thought was distinctly unfair, as she had just told him and Ron off.

"Dress robes will be worn." She continued, "And the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight, in the Great Hall. Now, then —"

Professor McGonagall stared deliberately around the class.

"The Yule Ball will be a chance for us all to — er — let our hair down." She said with a disapproving voice.

Lavender giggled harder than ever, with her hand pressed hard against her mouth to stifle the sound. Harry could see what was funny this time; Professor McGonagall, with her hair in a tight bun, looked as though she had never let her hair down in any sense.

"But that does NOT mean —" Professor McGonagall went on, "That we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way."

The bell rang, and there was the usual scuffle of activity as everyone packed their bags and swung them onto their shoulders. Professor McGonagall called above the noise, "Potter — a word, if you please."