twenty-seven

Areum's eyelids were heavy as she tried to open them. The bedroom ceiling was the first thing she noticed. She flinched when she heard muffled crying sounds next to her.

Beomgyu had his head hung low, caressing her hand continuously. "I'm so so so sorry, Areum. Please forgive me. I'm so sorry."

Her heart dropped at the sight of him. She moved her hand away from his, making him flinch in surprise. He immediately looked at her, "Areum! You're awake!"

She touched her head as it started spinning hard. Red liquid dripped to her hand, earning her by surprise. "My head is bleeding?"

"Your wound is pretty deep. I didn't know how to clean it. You've been unconscious for four hours," her boyfriend explained.

She took a deep breath and looked at him, "What happened?"

Please don't lie.

Beomgyu exhaled heavily and ran his fingers through his hair. He chuckled in amusement and looked at her, "You accidentally fell to the floor and hit your head hard. I tried to wake you up but you didn't. So I took you here to let you rest."

Liar.

She clenched the blanket tightly, feeling anger rising inside her. He stood up before walking to the bathroom. She gathered all her strength and rushed to the walk-in closet.

She remembered she kept the gun Ni-ki gave her in a pile of clothes. She had to hide it from Beomgyu because she couldn't trust him with it.

She reached it and looked at it for a while before putting it at the back of her pocket. She rushed out of the room and searched for her phone and car keys. They were nowhere to be found.

"Where is it?!" She asked herself, stressful tears threatening to come out.

"I had to hide it in case you were gonna run away," Beomgyu's voice startled her from behind. She immediately took out her gun and turned around, pointing it at him.

Her eyes widened when she saw he was also pointing a gun at her. He scoffed, "Wow, I knew you kept a gun hidden away from me. But I didn't know you had another one. Did that colleague of yours tell you to kill me?"

Her hands trembled as she held the gun tightly, "Where are my car keys?"

"Why? Are you going to drive to Heeseung?"

"This has nothing to do with him! I'm sick and tired of you controlling me like this! We have no chemistry at all, Beomgyu! Please just let me go," she begged as tears started trickling down.

He pulled the trigger and clenched his jaw, "Jung Areum, come back here and don't leave."

Areum stood close to the entrance door, pulling the trigger too. The man frowned, "Listen to me, Jung Areum."

"If you keep being like this, I won't hesitate to shoot you, Choi Beomgyu."

He walked closer to her, still pointing the gun. Tears started coming out like heavy rain from her eyes. Her heart pounded nervously as she sobbed, "Don't come closer!"

He was about to hold her arm before she shot his hand. He winced in pain, kneeling to the floor. She immediately opened the entrance door and was about to go out until he shot her left shin.

She screamed in pain, crying hard as she limped her way out of the building.

I have to get away.

I have to get away.

God, please save me.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Heeseung read his documents silently as Daera and Jay drank coffee across from him on the couch. They were staying in the lobby since they were tired from a five-hour surgery.

"Heeseung, you should really take a break for a while. You're gonna get tired with all the surgeries and lessons," Daera said as she put her cup down on the coffee table.

The older doctor breathed out and signed his documents, "I can't. I don't have anything to do if I take a break."

"Go on dates. Enjoy. One night stands, parties, clubs, find new hobbies. Try to get drunk. Who knows? What if you'll get married?" Jay laughed. Heeseung gave a death stare at his best friend and sighed, "Whatever. Laugh at me all you want. I'm taking my time in finding a partner."

Daera was about to laugh until she saw a bleeding girl limping into the lobby. She immediately stood up from her seat, "Miss?"

Her husband next to her felt confused and averted his gaze to the bleeding detective, "Isn't that Detective Jung?"

Heeseung immediately stood up and widened his eyes at the sight of his ex-girlfriend limping towards him with a bleeding shin. There were traces of blood trickling down on her face.

He averted his gaze to her hand that was holding a gun. Areum burst into tears when she got closer to him. Her head spinned hard and her ears were ringing.

She couldn't hear anything except muffled sounds around her. Her knees started to get weak as she dropped the gun to the floor. Heeseung's heart dropped. He instantly put down his pen on the table and sprinted towards her, "Areum!"

The detective felt weak and fell to the floor, closing her eyes. Heeseung immediately rested her body on his lap, shaking her to wake her up, "Areum!"

Daera motioned for her husband to call the other doctors, "Call for help. Now!"