C13 Year2 Part3

" Hagrid , why does anyone want to kill Buckbeack ?", Iridessa asked as she fed Fang some biscuits she'd brought along .

They were standing in Hagrid's pumpkin patch .

" Yeh know why ,Lass."

" But don't they know it's Malfoy's own fault for insulting him?".

Hagrid looked up from where he'd been on his knees , pulling weeds out of the ground.

" They know ,o' course ,but they don' care ".

Iridessa swallowed down a lump that suddenly formed in her throat .

" That's unfair ," she whispered sadly  ,her eyes flickering to the Hippogriff lying on a clear patch of the pumpkin patch , gnawing on a huge bone .

Iridessa's big yellowish eyes swam with tears , shimmering in the dimming light of day .

" Aye, that it is , bu' we can't do anythin' ,Iridessie ."

She smiled at Hagrid's nickname for her . Everyone these days have a preference .

Fang sniffed at her hands letting out a pitiful whine .

" You already ate them all ,Fang ," she said to him ," you and Dog has something in common , you eat up everything like it's the end of the world . Emmet would be proud ."

Hagrid laughed out loudly , though he wondered about the dog name Dog .

Fang licked her hand and she suppressed a shudder as to not offend the dog .

" You best be off ,Lass . You don' want t' be here when the execution happens ."

Iridessa's eyes widened . " It's today ?", she asked in alarm .

Hagrid nodded .

" But I want to stay for Beacky ," she protested , her eyes shimmering with sadness .

" I'm sorry ,Lass , bu' it's best yeh move on to the castle now ."

Iridessa sighed and then nodded . She moved towards Beacky and hugged him .

The Hippogriff wrapped his head around her in a strange hug , ignoring the fact that the girl hadn't bowed to him as is customary.

" Sleep tight tonight ,Beacky . I love you ."

The Hippogriff made a rumbling noise in response before nudging the girl away from him .

She giggled because the nudge tickled .

" Bye ,Hagrid ," she called out as she walked to the garden gate ," bye ,Fang ."

The dog let out a bark in response .

Iridessa didn't go far however when she encountered Harry ,Ron and Hermione .

" Were you at Hagrid's ?", Hermione asked .

" Yes , I helped him in his pumpkin patch . Beacky's there too and...and.." She couldn't finish , her breath stuck in her throat at the thought of the end of Buckbeack overwhelming her .

Harry moved to her and wrapped his arms around her .

" It's alright," he whispered soothingly," It's alright ", he repeated .

But it wasn't alright . Not to Iridessa anyway .

" Come with us ," Hermione said , moving to pull her away from Harry ,who shot her an annoyed look , which she answered with a shrug .

Iridessa didn't complain about it as she was forced to walk with the Trio back to Hagrid's .

She was quite contend with that , a smile grazing her full rosy lips .