Chapter 21

Emma smirked watching Nicholas. He looked like a small boy sulking on his first day back to school, after a long holiday. She threw her arms around. He refused to cheer up.

'It will be alright you know.'

He didn't relax. 'We can come back later if you want,' she suggested, knowing Nicholas had a parliament meeting which can't be missed.

'I am worried how things might get for you once we are back.'

'Nothing will change, I promise.'

'I am a terrible father. I never parented my girls properly. I could only imagine how things must have been for you with Amelia and how worse it will get.'

'You are not a terrible father. I promise I will never be angry or sad because of Amelia.'

'You shouldn't have to tolerate her either, she should learn to mind and behave.'

'She will. Until then promise me you would be patient with her.'

'How can you be so patient with her?'

'Because I love you. I would do anything for you.'

This was the first time she said that out loud. He cupped her face looking into her eyes.

'Say it again,' he said in a low, raspy voice.

'I love you,' she said, not meeting his eyes.

'Look at me and say it.'

'Nicholas!' she complained.

'Say it,' he growled.

'I love you.'

'Again,' he commanded.

'Are you going to make me say it all night?' she asked jokingly.

'Yes,' he replied seriously.

Emma climbed onto Nicholas' lap without hesitation as they rode London

'I want to ask you something,' said Nicholas.

'Yes.'

'Would you like to move in with me?'

'Nicholas, we live in the same house.'

'I meant, in my chamber.'

'The duke's chamber?'

'If it's not too much. You don't have to if you don't want to. No pressure,' he rambled.

'I would love to.'

He released the breath he was holding. 'You would?'

'Yes.'

'I will have your things moved. We could convert your room to my study.'

'Do you plan to work in bed?' Emma joked.

When he looked seriously contemplating the idea, 'You are not moving your study,' she said sternly.

'Fine,' he grumbled.

Emma giggled and hugged her husband, content in his arms.

Amy ran and hugged Emma as soon as they got out of the carriage. Amanda too was waiting to greet them on arrival. Though she didn't run, with a warm smile she said, 'We missed you.'

Emma smiled, her eyes tearing up.

'We got your present, I really liked it,' said Amy.

'You got them presents?' whispered Nicholas as they ascended the stairs.

'Yes, just some girls' stuff from Brentwood.'

Something like pride flickered in his eyes. Once they were alone he pulled her into a long, passionate kiss mumbling, 'What did I do to deserve you?'

Emma and Mary were busy shifting her belongings to the Duke's chamber. A daunting task. She couldn't believe she had so many dresses. Mrs. Dennis insisted she never wears the same dress to parties, resulting in many dresses.

'This dress is beyond mending, Your Grace,' Mary said, holding the dress Lord Advent had torn in his impatience.

'Oh!' Emma's face fell. She just wanted to hold on to the dress. It held a special place in her heart.

'Didn't I tell you things will get better?' Mary said giggling.

Emma blushed deep red.

'Seeing you blush, I guess it was more than just better.'

'Mary! We shall do the rest tomorrow.'

It was getting too dark to see clearly. She wished Nicholas returned soon. He had been busy at the Parliament during the day and later had a meeting scheduled with Lord Paulen and a few others.

Emma changed into her nightgown. Mary was brushing Emma's hair when Nicholas entered. He looked tired, but his face brightened once he spotted his wife.

'You may leave, Mary,' said Lord Advent.

She curtsied and gave a knowing smile to Emma as she left. Emma started brushing her hair.

'Shall I do that?' he asked, pointing to the brush.

'Aren't you tired?'

'Not anymore.'

He softly brushed her hair. He somehow found the mundane task very relaxing. He ran his hand softly through her hair making her shiver. He even tried to plait but the result was a horrible mess. Yet, Emma looked happy about it.

'Are you hungry? Did you have dinner?' she asked.

'I had dinner at the club.'

'Now, it's my turn.'

She removed his cravat and shoes and softly brushed his long, blonde hair.

'How is the moving coming along?'

'I think we will be done by tomorrow.'

'It took me a lot of strength to concentrate at the Parliament today. My mind kept thinking of when I could finally get back to you.'

Her image in the mirror blushed. He pulled her onto his lap and kissed her showing how much he missed her.

'Let us take this to bed, shall we?' saying, he carried her bridal style. They hardly slept that night; the exhaustion that followed was welcoming.

Emma inspected her now empty dressing room. It was larger without her things. The wooden cupboard was ajar. A sudden sense of familiarity dawned upon her. She has had a very similar cupboard when she was young; one which even had a secret compartment that opened behind the drawer.

With mounting excitement, she walked closer to the empty cupboard to inspect. There indeed was a secret compartment.