Blackmail

Shout out to @WearyandMary if you want a shout out next time, comment down below your favorite season! I think mine is either winter or summer. I feel like winter wins though, because I just love a good sweater moment.

"What are you doing here... Sh-... Shane?" Liam glared daggers at the boy sitting comfortably in the booth as if he owed the whole restaurant.

"Shea." Shea corrected, already annoyed at Simon's clearly less than intelligent oaf of a brother. "Can't I just pay a friend a visit?"

"You can get out of my restaurant." Liam grumbled, glad it was late and empty, so now paying customers would see the scene he was about to make.

"It's not your restaurant, and I don't think your manager would appreciate you speaking to a customer in this manner."

"I'm the manager. And we reserve the right to refuse service to anybody acting antagonistically, so please leave." Liam raised an eyebrow in challenge.

"Come on, man, can't we just have a conversation?" Shea asked.

"A conversation about how you don't know how to treat my brother?" Liam accused and Shea flinched, breaking his calm exterior.

"That's.. that was a misunderstanding."

"A misunderstanding?" Liam scoffed. "Does that give you the right to talk to Simon like that. He might not realize that you're trouble, and that's why it's my job to protect him from people like you."

"A job you take way too seriously..." Shea whispered. "Besides, don't you think it should be up to Simon who he hangs out with? Have you considered at all his feelings? Or do you just sit there as a hypocrite and lie to him?" Shea tilted his head to the side. "It seems to me like the person hurting him most is you."

"How do you know that?"

"That you lied to Simon? He told me you weren't allowed to have a job, but here you are. Don't you think he has a right to know where his private school funds are coming from?" Shea shrugged.

"I have my reasons." Liam stated firmly.

"And I mine." Shea responded quickly. "Now I wanted to handle things like adults, but clearly you aren't smart enough to do that... So I have a proposition."

"What the hell do you want?" Liam felt like his eyes were going to implode from glaring too much, and Shea was lucky to be in the restaurant, because if they hadn't been in public he'd be a dead man.

"I want you to let me see Simon."

"There's no way." Liam crunched his hand into a fist, hoping to restrain himself.

"Oh I think there is a way. I think that you're going to tell Simon you've changed your mind about me, and that you don't care if he sees me anymore." Liam took a bold step forward, and suddenly Shea felt like maybe the booth wasn't as safe as he had thought it would be. "And I think that if you don't, I'll tell Simon about all your filthy little lies."

"You're shit, you know that?" Liam spat. "You would blackmail me like this? Knowing Simon's feelings are on the line. You are the absolute scum of the earth."

"Maybe... but I'm still better than you." Shea smiled. "Think about Simon, Liam. Think about how crushed he'll be if he finds out that the one person he thought he could always trust has been lying to him. Think about how he'll look at you afterwards..."

Liam could see it. He could see the pain on Simon's face. The two boys only had each other, it was just them against the world, and that was all they had. Simon couldn't lose someone else, the boy couldn't lose the last family had left. And Liam couldn't bear the disappointment that would color Simon's blue eyes.