View Point

Neira had dressed quickly, Shade as well since she all but dragged him from the cabin. She needed food, and lots of it before she did something stupid. She was reading into it too much. Both River and Shade had been nothing but platonic the whole way. Besides that one slip up in Lana's bathroom, there had be nothing else to indicate an attraction between Shade and herself. And the slip up in Lana's bathroom had been her fault. She'd kissed him. 

Breakfast would clear her head.

Her mothers pack had already finished eating when Neira and Shade found River fixing their plates with what was remaining. Her mother was nowhere to be seen but some of the other wolves milled about, one eye on Neira and the other on her pack mates.

It was fair, she supposed. She couldn't blame these wolves for not trusting her pack. They never received visitors, not with Bronson's pack watching the pass. Her mother didn't allow in outsiders. And here Neira was with two strange wolves. 

The only other person Neira could ever remember being invited to stay was Elias. And it had been years since she'd see him. 

"Where you're finished," Neira started around a mouth full of porridge, "I'll take you up to the view point." She gestured behind her at the hulking mountain at her back. "It's stunning this time of year."

River grinned at her over his finished bowl. "Can we take blondy with us?" River waggled his eye brows at the male picking up the used plates. Blondy in question paled, and then took his pile of plates and disappeared. 

"Has anyone ever told you that you come on too strong?" Shade said, his grin contagious as Neira felt her own lips lift. 

When they were finished, they headed out passed the cabin, far from sight of any one else and stripped their clothes. Neira did it quickly, thinking that maybe she could avoid another sexual fire between her and Shade given this mornings tension. She couldn't get the image of his low jean on his sharp hips from her mind. Not when she could clearly see the base of that thick - 

She shifted then, River and Shade following her lead as she lunged into a run. Neira took point, Shade nipping at her hit the whole way.

It took a couple hours to trudge up the steep incline of the mountain. It was worth it though, just to see the look on Rivers face when the wide expanse of her mothers rocky territory came into view and the bonus of the steaming hot spring crested at the top.

River was shifting in seconds, his human legs propelling him off the small cliff and into the steaming pool below.

Shade let out a chuff, which could have been a laugh as he bumped her shoulder with his massive head. Neira watched him for a moment, his white eyes seeing nothing. His nose moved carefully, trying to scent her. Neira licked his muzzle, and then shifted.

Shade followed quickly, shifting as well, white vacant eyes turning black. And then white again.

"Shit Shade," she said, pressing her palms into his chest again. "It's happening more often." He could hear the concern in her voice, that much she knew, but Shade gritted his teeth. His fingers gripped her arms, trying to steady himself. His eyes flashed black once more before returning to white. "What really causes it?"

Shade took a steadying breath. He closed his eyes, breathing the mountain air in. When he opened them again, his eyes were back to that unending black once more. "I'm not sure you want to know."

Neira frowned, her hands still on his chest. "Its you loosing control isn't it?"

"Not exactly," he said softly. He released his grip on her arms and took a step back from her. Neira's hands fell away from his chest.