Chapter 32 - acorns

- Third POV -

"Those clous look so soft, don't they? Like you could just jump down and you'd land in a big, soft, cottony heap?" Asks Katara who's laying down on Appa's saddle with a dreamy look on her face.

"Maybe you should give it a try" Says Sokka as he gives his sister a mocking smile. Katara looks at Sokka with annoyance.

"You're hilarious" Replies Katara sarcastically.

"I'll try it!" Beams Aang happily. Mizuki gasps out of excitement.

"Really?!" Exclaims Mizuki. Aang blinks at Mizuki for a second before grabbing her hand.

"Yeah, I'll show you! Hold on tight" Chuckles Aang as he jumps off Appa with a big smile on his face. Mizuki quickly grabs onto Aang, as he begins to fall, he opens his glider and starts to ascend. Katara and Sokka pop their heads over the rim, looking down in the direction Aang and Mizuki went. After a few seconds Aang and Mizuki plop down on the saddle, with their legs spread apart. They both start laughing and Mizuki bends the water out of their clothing.

"Turns out, clouds are made of water" Beams Aang. Mizuki nods and reaches for her water pouch, but to her surprise it's gone.

"Did anyone see my water pouch? I think I lost it" Asks Mizuki who's pouting.

"I haven't seen your water pouch, sorry. You can use mine for now if you want too" Replies Katara.

"Thanks Katara" Says Mizuki as she bends the water into Katara's water pouch. Katara glances at her brother until she sees something behind him.

"Hey, what is that?" Mumbles Katara confused. Sokka looks over his right shoulder in the direction Katara is looking at as well. Mizuki gets up and walks to the front of Appa's saddle. A large, dark patch of burned land standing out among the lush green of the forest is seen. The teenagers are now all looking over the front rim of Appa's saddle with surprised looks on their faces.

"It's like a scar..." Mutters Sokka.

<time skip, a few minutes later>

Sokka, Mizuki, Aang and Katara are standing in the middle of a gray, barren patch.

"Listen. It's so quiet. There's no life anywhere" Mentions Sokka. Mizuki stares terrified at the burned down forest, getting flashbacks. Mizuki starts feeling dizzy and her vision begins to fade.

"Mizuki? Are you okay?" Asks Katara concerned as she rushes towards Mizuki and grabs her. Katara gently puts Mizuki on the floor and squats down next to her.

"I'm fine, but I don't think Aang is" Mumbles Mizuki as she points at Aang who's kneeling on the ground with a sorrowful expression on his face. Katara stands up and approaches Aang. Sokka looks down at the burned ground and notices a few footprints from Fire Nation soldiers.

"Fire Nation! Those evil savages make me sick! They have no respect for-" Shouts Sokka while making angry gestures with his hands.

"Shh!" Says Katara annoyed.

"What? I'm not allowed to be angry?" Whispers Sokka angrily. Katara points to Aang with a somewhat concerned look on her face. Aang picks up some ash as it slowly seeps through his hand and drops to the ground.

"Why would anyone do this? How could I let this happen?" Grieved Aang.

"Aang, you didn't let this happen. It has nothing to do with you" Reassured Katara.

"Yes, it does. It's the Avatar's job to protect nature. But I don't know how to do my job" Sighs Aang.

"That's why we're going to the North Pole. To find you a teacher" Comforts Katara.

"Yeah, a waterbending teacher. But there's no one who can teach my how to be the Avatar. Monk Gyatso said that Avatar Roku would help me" Answers Aang in a sad tone. That's when Mizuki stands up and walks towards Aang.

"That's why I'm here to guide and help you Aang. I'll be there for you no matter what" States Mizuki with a big smile on her face. Aang turns around and looks up at her with a grin on his face.

"Yeah, you're right" Says Aang in a happier tone.

❀❀❀

Zuko's looking for Iroh in a forest.

"Uncle! It's time to leave! Where are you? Uncle Iroh!" Shouts Zuko annoyed.

"Over here!" Replies Iroh who's relaxing in a hot spring.

"Uncle? We need to move on. We're closing in on the Avatar's trail and I don't want to lose him" Demands Zuko.

"Why don't you join me in these hot springs and soak away your troubles?" Suggests Iroh.

"My troubles cannot be soaked away. It's time to go!" Shouts Zuko.

"You should take your teacher's advice and relax a little. The temperature's just right. I heated it myself" Continues Iroh as he breathes steam through his nose.

"Enough! We need to leave now. Get out of the water!" Commands Zuko in an angry tone.

"Very well" Agrees Iroh. He gets up, exposing himself. Zuko immediately shields his eyes.

"On second thought, why don't you take another few minutes? But be back at the ship in a half-hour or I'm leaving without you!" Says Zuko before he turns around and walks away. Iroh sighs as he slumps back into the water.

❀❀❀

Mizuki whispers something into Katara's ear. Katara happily nods and the two approach Aang.

"Hey Aang! You ready to be cheered up?" Beams Katara.

"No" Mumbles Aang. Mizuki throws an acorn at him.

"Ow! Hey! How is that cheering me up?" Exclaims Aang.

"Cheered me up" Chuckles Sokka. Katara grabs an acorn and throws it at her brother.

"Ow. Yeah, I probably deserved that" Mutters Sokka.

"These acorns are everywhere Aang. That means the forest will grow back!" Comforts Mizuki as she places an acorn in his hand. Aang looks up at her in surprise.

"Every one of these will be a tall oak tree someday, and all the birds and animals that lived here will come back" Says Katara happily while making gestures with her hands.

"Thanks" Replies Aang as he smiles at Mizuki and Katara. The girls smile back at him until they notice an old man approaching.

"Hey, who are you?" Says Sokka alarmed.

"When I saw the flying bison, I thought it was impossible! But those markings...are you the Avatar, child?" Asks the old man. Aang glances at Mizuki, who nods. Then he looks at the man and nods.

"My village desperately needs your help!" Pleads the old man.

To be continued

Word count: 1046