Chapter VII: Albedo's Nighttime Routine

It's been a week since you were first taken in by Albedo. You followed the same routine everyday, which included sitting up in bed, pondering your existence, shuffling downstairs to the kitchen (another room you didn't know the cabin had), making breakfast, going for a walk, coming back, writing in your diary (if Albedo ended up killing you, your chronicled life might become Mondstadt's next bestseller).

You'd feel tired in the afternoon, so you'd nap until evening. Dinner would always be on the desk in the room, as well as the clear solution, which you drank nightly. Then you would lay in bed, analyzing the constellations until you fell asleep.

That concluded your daily life with Albedo. Well, not really with him. You hadn't seen him since he first spoke to you. Sometimes you got extremely lonely, but other times you felt he was there, just hiding. After all, who kept the kitchen restocked? Who provided you food every night? Then again, why would he conceal himself from you?

Maybe he just has bad social anxiety.

He didn't have anxiety when he had you pinned against the door.

You wrapped the blanket tighter around you. If you kept experiencing these thoughts, you'd have a longgggggg night ahead of you.

Unless...

You gently pushed the bedcovers off of you, taking care to make sure it didn't rustle too much. You let your feet dangle over the edge of the bed, carelessly swinging as you devised your plan.

If Albedo really was a night owl, perhaps you'd be able to have a nice chat with him now. Besides, you could hardly sleep anyway knowing you could possibly be very alone in the middle of Dragonspine.

 Besides, you could hardly sleep anyway knowing you could possibly be very alone in the middle of Dragonspine

A chill ran down your spine, encasing your body in drowsiness. Your room was frigid, and the longer you sat here pondering the more you yearned to slip back under the covers. You forced yourself to stand and strode over to your door, dexterously avoiding the creaky floorboards.

You squinted through the keyhole of the doorknob. Before you could put your plan in action, a floorboard squeaked in the hallway.

You'd recognize the sound anywhere. It was Albedo, humming a tune softly as he neared your door. You hurried back to your bed and perfected your fake sleeping position. You didn't understand why you bothered, it wasn't like he was going to come in your room-

The door creaked open slowly. Warm light streamed across the floor, illuminating your totally sleeping face. You fought to keep your breathing even and low as Albedo drew near. You couldn't open your eyes, or...

Why couldn't you open your eyes? After much mulling, you had an answer: Intuition. You didn't remember much, just a scream and a life being lost. Albedo was capable, and was to be regarded as unpredictable as a force of nature. He had no alignment and no way of truly knowing right from wrong, only his version of good and evil.

The alchemist's hand ran up your blanketed body, finally resting on your cheek. He swiped some hair out of your face, mumbling something to himself repetitively.

Your heart stopped as he drew near your face, his warm breath puffing against your skin. Albedo's immediacy was striking, what the hell were his intentions? You managed to interpret a few of his rambles.

"...You sleep calmly, unaware of the happenings of the world around you. If only you knew the troubles I endured to get you... the circumstances were against my favor, but look where we are now, I mean, I have you, finally, my angel..."

His voice wavered; he sounded distressed. "Please don't think about leaving me, my darling. I do so much for you, even if you don't see it. I need you in my life, I'll go absolutely crazy if I can't have you."

You sensed the bed creaking. You were quite sure his words were a figment of your sleep-deprived mind, there's no way he'd actually say that. He hardly even knew you!!

Ohshitwhythefuckishegettingonthebed!!!

You tried your very best, but your heart was pounding audibly. Hopefully Albedo was in too delirious a state to notice. You waited ominously for the stab, it would all be over in a second-

To your surprise and relief no cold metal plunged through you. Instead, you felt weight added gently atop your body, releasing dopamine and serotonin from your brain. It made you feel weightless and bubbly, like you could do anything, but it also anchored you to the bed, literally. A warm fire burned in your heart, gradually raising your body temperature.

Nonetheless, you tensed when you realized Albedo was the weight. His words tickled your neck as he buried his face into it, raving about how sorry he was.

Confliction arises. Technically this is a violation of your personal space, but you're required to be fake-sleeping...

...And, well, you won't admit it, but it feels nice to be in the arms of someone you used to know.

Feigning sleepiness, you lightly wrapped your arms around him. The alchemist tensed, an exclamation leaving his lips. Drifting off for real this time, your eyelids drooped.

"By the s-seven... I know you're sleeping, but it's almost as if you l-love me too..."

Whatever kind of dream you were having, you grinned in your sleep. He longed to know what it was you thought of, since seeing your smile was the most precious thing in all of Teyvat.