prologue

Gong.....Gong.....Gong.

Despite its dark appeal, the great grandfather clock in the Scott's living room never ceased to announce to the household that midnight was upon them, and tonight was no different.

Wipe after wipe after wipe, Sarah Scott, wife of Leo Scott and mother of Sandra Scott, did as she did every night, clean the dishes before they were to be put into the dishwasher to get rid of the additional grime. Things were quiet that deadly silent midnight with only the booming gongs of the grandfather clock to remind her that she wasn't alone in the world. She had never quite been fond of the great grandfather clock residing in their living room, but overtime had become accustomed to hearing its daunting gongs every night. It became a constant reminder to her that what she had made for herself was perfect. She had a home, a good income, a wonderful husband, and a beautiful daughter. There was nothing more she could ask for.

A sudden creak from within the house reached Sarah's keen ears, and she froze.

Another creak followed.

Reacting with haste, she settled the plate she was cleaning down on the counter and the towel on top of it. She crept over to a high cabinet and rose on her tiptoes, opening the cabinet softly and taking out a handgun. Whatever had caused the sounds couldn't have been her husband because he was at work on an overnight shift, and it couldn't have been her daughter Sandra either because she was at a friend's house for a sleepover.

Anyone else would have called out something along the lines of "Who's there?!" but Sarah knew better. She wasn't new to the art of stealth. As quiet as a mouse, she made amble and calculated steps out of the kitchen, her target the dining room, the place she thought she heard the sounds originate from. With her handgun outstretched in front of her, Sarah whipped around the corner connecting the kitchen to the dining room.

The dining room was pitch black, but Sarah could just make out the outline of someone  sitting at the dining table. Relief traveled through her. "You know, you could have just called," she said.

"I didn't think you would answer," the voice of Nick Fury retorted.

"You don't know that," Sarah said. She rolled her eyes and placed her handgun on the table  before flicking the lights on and taking a seat across from Fury. "So....long time no see." Sarah stared intensely into Nick Fury's one good eye. "Why are you here? "

"What?" Fury said innocently. "Is it so hard to believe that I just came to visit one of my favorite ex agents?"

She gave him a pointed look.

"I see you haven't changed," Fury mused.

"And neither have you," Sarah said back. "I see you're still making a habit of breaking and entering into places as you please."

"You know me too well," Fury said with a laugh.

Sarah folded her arms on the table and leaned forward. "But really, why are you here?"

Fury grew silent as he opened the flap of his coat and pulled out a file. He placed it on the table and slid it across.

Sarah caught the file under her hand. "Avengers Initiative," she read. "Nick, I already know all about it. What's your point?"

"Take a look at the last page."

Sarah tilted her head in confusion before flipping through the file to the last page. She did a double take. "Nick, you can't be serious."

"When am I ever not serious," Fury said.

"I can't believe you. She's only ten years old."

Fury sighed. "I know, but both you and I know that the world is filling up with people who can't be matched. We're just lucky that most of them have been on our side. We need more heroes, and your daughter is capable of doing things beyond that of a normal person. It's not everyday you hear about a girl who can take down a grown man single-handedly."

Sarah looked down at the table. "She doesn't even know that I know."

"And unless we need them, I plan to keep it that way," Fury said.

Sarah looked back up at  Fury. "So that's it. That's why you came here, to ask for my permission  to recruit Sandra for the Avengers Initiative."

Fury folded his hands on the table and leaned forward. "And all I need is an 'okay' from you."

Sarah shook her head in  thought. "I trust you, Nick, almost more than anyone else I know. I give you my permission, but when it comes down to it, it will be Sandra's  decision, not mine. I'm not going to lie. I don't like this, but I would be lying to you if I thought Sandra wasn't capable of handling  herself." She took in a hefty breath. "There's so much that she doesn't know. It would be wrong of me to hold her back."

Fury nodded in understanding. "You sure have grown, Sarah, and I have no doubt that Sandra has learned more from you than she could ever know."

"My only worry is that the world won't go easy on her," Sarah said, a far-off look in her eye.

"Sarah, none of us are prepared for what the world has to throw at us, but just like you, I hope our worst fears never become a reality."

Author's Note: Don't be a silent reader! Remember to vote, comment, share, and give me your theories and thoughts! Constructive criticism and any criticism for that matter is always welcome! Know any other Marvel fans? Let them know about this story!