Chapter 53

Klaus was terrified.

He almost wanted to beg them to turn around and head back to Mystic Falls.

But he'd seen the delight on Maddy's face as she rushed up to him, already looking out of the airport windows and asking questions about what streets they'd be driving down on their way to the Compound. For months already she'd wanted to be here, and at last she was. He didn't have the heart to ask her to go back.

So he broke the news as best as he could.

"How is that possible?" asked Jo. "I knew your mother was powerful but... could she really bring herself and Mikael back to life?"

"She did not resurrect Mikael," noted Klaus. "Davina Claire did. Madeleine has told you about her."

"Yes, the Harvest girl. Wow. This is a lot to process. Why?"

"The little witch despises me. Chances are she saw Mikael as a way to be rid of me, and she thought that resurrecting him would earn her his trust. Clearly she was sorely mistaken, as he's been confined in a church attic for four months because she knew he was too eager to bury the white oak stake in my chest."

Jo didn't like the sound of this. She looked worriedly at Maddy, who was staring out the window, appearing quite troubled. "You okay?"

"I don't know," she admitted. "A part of me is relieved that Esther isn't in her actual body, so she can't do... too much, I hope. I want to try not to be scared. But knowing Mikael is back, too..." she looked at Klaus. "He hates you. He can hurt you again."

Klaus realized her fears weren't even for herself. They were for him. She was afraid of what his parents would do to him now that they had another shot at revenge.

"I killed him once," mentioned the hybrid. "I can quite easily do it once more."

Maddy wanted to be confident in the fact that he'd be okay but she simply wasn't sure. Mikael had seen her there when Klaus killed him. He knew she'd been the one to persuade Katherine into giving up the location. He would know how much Maddy meant to Klaus, and he could hurt her to get to him. "What about Esther?"

"Elijah is already working on finding a way to track which body she jumps into next. No doubt she will choose to leave that Harvest girl's body soon enough. Now that we are aware of where she resides, she will not feel safe. She might have even already left that body."

"Why jump into her body in the first place, though?" mused Jo. "Perhaps she needed a specific anchor to Harvest girl caliber magic. You might have extra time."

Klaus hummed. "Elijah will be on that. Today, my focus is getting you both settled. As requested, I've acquired an apartment for you, just four minutes from Tulane Medical Center and four minutes from the Compound."

Jo smiled. "Thank you. That makes things a whole lot easier for me. My contact from Tulane was able to get me a job, so I'll adjust my hours as needed to check on you, Maddy."

"You've already been such a big help," Maddy mentioned. "Thank you for this, Jo. Seriously. I hope this new adventure brings you at least a bit of peace."

"I think it will. I'm sure there will always be plenty to do and if we're going up against the Ancestral-Magic-Practicing witches, I'll likely need to pitch in, but I don't mind. I think I needed something new in my life, no matter how stressful it may turn out to be."

She seemed to be holding something back, which caused Maddy to frown. "Jo? What is it? What aren't you telling me?"

"It's nothing," the woman replied.