14/Distractions and Revelations

Like a broken tape, the events of the last two days with Rahim played over and over in my mind. They constantly brought a smile to my face, seeming like the most romantic scene. I could not believe Rahim and I had kissed!

"Salma!" I was unfortunately brought back to reality. I jolted, turning to look at Mom. She had the most bewildered expression on her face — blinking rapidly and tapping her fingers on the dining table. How long had she called me?

I hummed in response, scratching my scalp. I failed to meet her gaze as I fiddled with the hem of my school skirt.

"Are you alright?" she asked. I nodded but still, I did not look at her face, but I saw her stretching her hands to me. I reluctantly looked up. "I've been calling you three times already."

"Sorry," I muttered, stirring my cup of tea absent-mindedly. "I guess I'm just deep in thought." She nodded slowly and sliced a piece of cake onto her plate.

"Would you care for a slice?" I shook my head. When I noticed she was still staring at me as if she was trying to understand the meaning of an abstract painting in a gallery, I hurriedly gulped my tea and stood from my seat.

"I'll be late for school, mum. I'll just eat something at the canteen." Without waiting for her reply, I dashed towards the staircase and entered my bedroom.

Plopping down on a couch, I sighed in relief. Mom was a cool woman. She was not one of those generic African parents who thought everything could make their daughter end up pregnant. She was open-minded. But you never knew, maybe she had an iota of that "African Parent Vibe" in her.

I did not know how to break the news of my encounter with Rahim to her, but I knew she would find out eventually. Right now, I just wanted to live in the moment and bask in my new romance. I sighed again and got to get ready for school.

After packing my bag, I headed for my dressing mirror. I had never done this before — checking myself out before leaving the house. But I had to look good, even though I had no idea who I was dressing up for. I adjusted my skirt, made sure my hair was not frizzy and made sure my lips were coated with lipgloss. With a spritz of my perfume, I looked again in content and left my bedroom.

"Oh good, the driver's here." Since Mom's pregnancy was getting more advanced, she had hired a driver for us. I nodded and went over to hug her before leaving the house.

My steps were light and giddy on the pavement leading to the SS3 block of my school. I felt as if I was in seventh heaven, walking on clouds as every step I took meant I was getting closer and closer to Rahim.

I looked up when I was getting closer to my block and saw Mona leaning against the balcony, talking to some of my classmates. That was when I remembered that I had failed to tell her about what happened on Saturday.

Mona probably knew that Rahim and I would end up together eventually, but the thought of breaking the news to her, knowing how hysteric she could get at times was enough to set me on edge.

I was about to ascend the stairs that led to the classroom when my phone beeped. Could it be a message from Rahim? I immediately fished the phone out of my skirt pocket and scrolled through my messages. It wasn't from Rahim but Naomi. I was a bit bummed out, but I had totally forgotten about my running mate.

Naomi CSA

Hey, it's been a few days since we last spoke. I was thinking of us meeting up after school to discuss our campaign.

7:14 a.m.

Oh OK. Can we meet up at the library?

7:16 a.m.