Chapter 54

Maddy made a mental note to not be anything like Esther.

"This is absurd," said Klaus angrily as he tossed the food trays to the floor the instant Marcel took his leave. "The war for our home is to be fought against my own family at such an inopportune time!"

"I will consult the witch I found," said Elijah calmly. "With any luck, we can determine who is to be Esther's next host, and mark them. We must decipher her intentions before she escapes."

"Well," said Klaus coldly, "her last invitation was an assassination attempt on all her children. You were only spared because the doppelgänger fancies you. The rest of us were on the chopping block. I think we can assume her intentions are decidedly foul."

Elijah shrugged. "Well, then. We have—" he checked his watch, "this afternoon to prepare for the worst." He exited the room.

"Perhaps you ought to go to Jo's apartment," suggested Klaus. "Or, if you would like to meet Camille, I can have Marcel take you—"

"No," said Maddy firmly. "I want to be here. I want to listen and see what she wants. If she's going to pose a threat to me or to this baby, I want her to say it to my face. I want to confront her about that witch that you saw following me. She wouldn't be foolish enough to cast a spell when I'm with you and Elijah."

"You would be surprised."

"I've never actually spoken to her before. I want to talk to her. I want to be there. I'm not asking for your permission."

Klaus heaved a sigh. "Very well. But you do not touch her. You do not leave my sight when she is here. She could very easily take your hand and cast a spell that drives you mad without us being aware of it."

"Fine, I abide by those terms. What can I do to help? Elijah's working with the witch. I can clean the dining room and set up the menu so the cooks can get started."

Klaus's phone began to ring, causing him to hold up a finger to indicate a pause. "Elijah," he said, putting it on speaker so that Maddy could hear. "What is it?"

"The witch requires an item that has been spelled by Esther, as well as a python. I will fetch the snake. Do you have something that—?"

"I have an idea what I can retrieve for the spell. I will fetch it." He hung up, and looked at Maddy, who assented.

"Cleaning and menu it is," she said. "Let me—"

"Tell the servants to clean," said Klaus, catching her arm before she could go. "I'd rather not have you exposed to harmful chemicals now that you are mortal and unable to heal yourself. I will return soon." He kissed her cheek before dashing off.

Though she felt bad about asking the servants to clean, she went ahead and did it, and then sat on the counter in the kitchen while she thought aloud about what they should serve. Something simple. No salad course. Straight to the meal and that was it.

She chose a bottle of wine, and set for the main dish to be baked potatoes, sauteed vegetables, grilled chicken, and an option for bigoli with a roasted tomato pasta sauce.

She put on one of her nicer dresses, which wasn't too extravagant for the evening. By the time Klaus and Elijah came back, all that was left was to get through with the finishing touches and wait, with the hopes that the witch Elijah selected would do her job properly.

"Are these outfits really necessary?" said Klaus irritably after Elijah had forced him to put on a suit.

"Appearance is a way of showing respect, Niklaus," said Elijah. "Mother will be more likely to surrender her true intentions."