Chapter 35 - panda

- Third POV -

"Really?" Exclaims Aang. Mizuki nods in agreement.

"Yeah. I think that Hei Bei is supposed to protect this forest. If you look at this statue, you'll see that it looks similar to the spirit. Except it looks a little friendlier. When I made a water shield to protect myself, I bended some water out of a tree, destroying it. That's why the Hei Bai became so furious and immediately attacked me. And maybe Hei Bai thinks that the villagers burned down the forest, since they're the only ones who live close to the forest. I could be wrong though" Explains Mizuki. Aang gasps and grabs her shoulders.

"Mizuki! You're a genius!" Beams Aang excited. Mizuki looks down shyly.

"Ehh, it's no big deal" Mumbles Mizuki.

"Come on, let's go back to the village" Suggests Aang.

"Alright, I'll see you there" Replies Mizuki. Aang climbs the statue and enters his normal body. Mizuki starts walking towards the entrance where her normal body is still meditating.

❀❀❀

"These dangerous hands must be crushed" Says the earthbender captain as he brings up a boulder with his earthbending and prepares to drop it. However, Zuko jumps in and kicks the rock away before breaking Iroh's chain with his foot.

"Excellent form, Prince Zuko" Compliments Iroh.

"You taught me well" Smirks Zuko.

"Surrender yourselves. It's five against two. You're cleary outnumbered" Demands the earthbender captain.

"That's true, but you are clearly outmatched" Answers Iroh confidently. The soldiers fire rocks, but Iroh destroys them with the chains around his wrists. Zuko takes out two soldiers by sending huge fire blasts towards them. A rock is fired at Iroh, but he cathes it and throws it back at the soldiers, knowcking them down. The captain fires three rocks at Zuko, which he dodges. Zuko counters with fire blasts that are dodged. The captain brings up a large mass of rock, however, Iroh throws his chains around his ankles, knocking him down and causing the rocks to fall on top of him. The soldiers are heard groaning underneath the rocks.

"Now would you please put on some clothes?" Sighs Zuko annoyed.

❀❀❀

It's sunset, Katara stands outside the center building and notices Mizuki and Aang's return. Katara runs up to them.

"You're back!" Beams Katara while embracing Mizuki and Aang.

"Where's Sokka?" Asks Katara.

"I'm not sure..." Answers Aang.

"We'll find him soon, I promise" Comforts Mizuki with a reassuring smile on her face.

<time skip, it's nighttime>

Aang awaits at the entrance for the Hei Bai, alone. After some time he gives up and returns to the center building. Just as he exits, the spirit appears to his left. He throws up an air shield to stop its attack.

"Aang, what are you doing?! Run!" Shouts Katara who's inside of the center building.

"He knows what he's doing Katara" Reassures Mizuki calmly. The spirit prepares to resume its attack when Aang jumps in front of it. He feels it forehead and sees a vision of a panda protecting a forest.

"You actually are the spirit of this forest! Now I understand. You're upset and angry because your home was burned down. When I saw the forest had burned, I was sad and upset, but my friend gave me hope that the forest would grow back" States Aang. He shows the Hei Bai the acorn in his hand and leaves it at his feet. The spirit picks it up and reverts to the panda form. It walks away peacefully. As the Hei Bai exits the village and enters the forest, a series of branches grow and the three villagers including Sokka emerge from it.

"Sokka!" Exclaims Katara as she runs towards her brother and hugs him. 

"What happened?" Asks Sokka confused.

"You where trapped in the Spirit world for 24 hours! How are you feeling?" Answers Katara.

"Like I seriously need to use the bathroom!" Says Sokka before he walks away, displaying a neaseated look on his face.

"I can confirm that there aren't any bathroom in the Spirit world" Chuckles Mizuki. Aang and Katara slightly giggle.

"Thank you Avatar and dualbender. If only there were a way to repay you for what you've done" Says the leader of the Senlin village.

"You could give us some supplies, and some money" Mentions Sokka.

"Sokka!" Scolds Mizuki.

"What? We need stuff" Replies Sokka. Mizuki rolls her eyes at him.

"It would be an honor to help you prepare for your journey" Answers the man.

"I'm so proud of you Aang. You figured out what to do, all on your own" Compliments Katara.

"Actually, Mizuki helped me. It's all thanks to her" Replies Aang with a smile on his face.

"That's what friends do" Beams Mizuki.

"Oh and, I need to talk to Roku. I think I found a way to contact his spirit" Explains Aang.

"That's great!" Says Katara happily.

"Creepy, but great" Answers Sokka.

"There's a temple on a crescent-shaped island and if I go there on the solstice, I'll be able to speak to with him" Continues Aang.

"But the solstice is tomorrow!" Exclaims Katara.

"Yeah, and there's one more problem. The island is in the Fire Nation" States Aang. Mizuki and the Water Tribe siblings eyes widen out of shock.

❀❀❀

Aang's trying to get Appa to move, yanking on the reins, though the bison refuses and sits down.

"Let's go Appa! Come on boy!" Says Aang in a strained voice. Appa roars in protest.

"Look, I'm sorry. But Katara, Sokka and Mizuki aren't coming to the Fire Nation with us. If they got hurt, I'd never forgive myself" Protests Aang in a sorrowful tone.

"So get your big butt off the ground and let's go!" Shouts Aang sternly. He jerks at the reins, stretching them out, but is flung to the ground when the ropes pull him back as Appa did not move a single muscle. Aang sits down on the ground, spread-legged.

"I think his big butt is trying to tell ya something" Mocks Sokka. Aang gasps in surprise and looks over to his right shoulder and over his left, turning around in search for the origins of the voice. Sokka, Mizuki, Katara and the villagers who where standing behind Appa approach Aang.

"Please don't go Aang. The world can't afford to lose you to the Fire Nation. Neither can we" Pleads Katara. Aang looks away sadly and recalls an imagine of Sozin's comet.

"But I have to talk to Avatar Roku to find out what my vision means! I need to get to the Fire Nation Temple before the sun sets on the solstice. That's today!" Argues Aang as he airbends himself atop Appa's head, to his surprise Mizuki is sitting on the back of Appa's saddle with her arms crossed and a determined look on her face.

"You're not going alone" Demands Mizuki. Aang sighs and makes Appa turn around to face the others. Sokka and Katara climb atop Appa's saddle.

"We're not letting you go into the Fire Nation Aang" Says Sokka. Aang gives him a confused look.

"At least, not without your friends. We got your back" Finishes Sokka as Aang starts to smile.

"It's a long journey to the Crescent Island. You'll have to fly fast to have any change of making it before sundown. Goodluck" States the leader of the village as he hands Aang a small bundle filled with supplies for the journey.

"Thankyou for your-" Replies Aang but he gets cut off by the man.

"Go!" Shouts the leader of the village while pointing towards the ocean.

To be continued

Word count: 1222