Chapter 36 - a blockade

- Third POV -

Appa takes off with Aang, Mizuki, Momo, Katara and Sokka. Later that morning, the Senlin Village leader exits the main building, but he stops in his tracks upon finding Fire Nation prince standing in his path. Behind him there are a few soldiers sitting on komodo rhino's. The Senlin Village leader gasps.

"Having trouble sleeping?" Says Zuko in a hostile tone as he pushes the man back through the door, knocking him down.

"Seen the Avatar lately?" Continues Zuko while approaching the man.

❀❀❀

Day has come, Appa soars over the ocean. Aang, Mizuki, Katara and Sokka all watch the ocean fearfully.

"Come on boy, we've got a long way to go. Faster!" Exclaims Aang.

"Sailing into Fire Nation waters...of all the foolish things you've done in your sixteen years Prince Zuko, this is the most foolish!" Says Iroh annoyed.

"I have no choice uncle" Replies Zuko.

"Have you completely forgotten that the Fire Lord banished you?" Scolds Iroh angrily.

"What if you're caught?" Continues Iroh in a more concerned tone.

"I'm chasing the Avatar! My father will understand why I am returning home!" Answers Zuko as he moves away from the telescope to talk to his uncle.

"You give him too much credit. My brother is not the understanding type!" Exclaims Iroh. Zuko looks back into his telescope.

"There they are. Helsman! Full steam ahead!" Shouts Zuko. Katara turns around and looks down, only to see Zuko's ship.

"We've got trouble!" Warns Katara. Mizuki turns around and looks in the same direction as Katara.

"Yeah! And it's gaining, fast!" Exclaims Sokka. A Fire Nation catapult is raised to the deck of Zuko's ship. It is loaded with a steaming projectile.

"Uh, really Prince Zuko, couldn't you shoot them down with something more fragrant?" Asks Iroh while waving a fan at his face. Zuko ignores him and lights the stinking ball with a fire punch.

"On my mark! Fire!" Shouts Zuko. A guard beside him slices the rope holding back the catapult. The flaming projectile races towards Appa.

"Fireball!" Yells Katara.

"I got this!" Shouts Mizuki as she picks up Katara's water pouch that's laying on Appa's saddle. She bends the water out of the water pouch, creates ice claws and throws them towards the flaming projectile, breaking it. Mizuki creates an air blast that's just strong enough to change the direction of the pieces of the flaming projectile. After doing so, Mizuki sits down and covers her nose.

"Those things aren't very fragrant, are they?" Chuckles Mizuki. The others start to laugh as they cover their noses aswell.

"We have to get out of Zuko's range, before he shoots another hot stinker at us! Can't you make Appa go any faster?" Suggests Sokka.

"Yeah, but there's just one little problem" Replies Aang.

"A blockade!" Shouts Zuko who's looking through his telescope. His eyes widen out of shock. There's a two-row line of Fire Nation ships stretching across the ocean as far as the eye can see. There are numerous Fire Nation catapults prepared to fire.

"Technically you are still in Earth Kingdom waters. Turn back now and they cannot arrest you" Says Iroh.

"If we fly north, we can go around the Fire Nation ships and avoid the blockade! It's the only way" Suggests Aang.

"There's no time!" Complains Katara.

"She's right Aang! We'll have to take the risk" Argues Mizuki.

"This is exactly why I didn't want you to come! It's too dangerous!" Complains Aang as he looks at Mizuki, who's determined to stay by his side.

"And that's exactly why we're here" Continues Katara.

"Let's run this blockade!" Exclaims Sokka boldly. Mizuki, Katara and Sokka grin confidently.

"Appa, yip-yip!" Shouts Aang as Appa roars readily, sailing forward even quicker.

"They're not turning around!" Exclaims Zuko.

"Please prince Zuko! If the Fire Nation captures you, there is nothing I can do! Do not follow the Avatar" Pleads Iroh. Zuko lowers his head, closes his eyes and clenches his hands into fists.

"I'm sorry uncle" Mumbles Zuko sorrowfully. He raises his head, opens his eyes and thrusts his right hand forward commandingly.

"Run the blockade!" Shouts Zuko.

❀❀❀

"The Avatar and the dualbender" Says Zhao while gazing through the telescope on his ship. He lowers his telescope and spots Zuko's ship.

"And the banished prince. This must be my lucky day" Smirks Zhao.

"Commander Zhao. What are your orders?" Asks the captain.

"Shoot the bison down, captain" Replies Zhao.

"But there's a Fire Navy ship out there sir! One of our own! What if it's hit?" Exlcaims the captain.

"So be it. It belongs to a traitor" States Zhao. The captain backs up in shock while Zhao continues coolly.

"Ignite, launch!" Says Zhao. The sky becomes littered with flaming fireballs fired from the blockade. Aang, Mizuki, Katara and Sokka start screaming as Appa evades numerous fireballs, some exploding mid-air.

"Appa, are you okay?" Asks Aang concerned. Appa roars a reply. They soar higher into the clouds. On the ocean surface, Zuko's ship is narrowly missing many falling fireballs. Sheets of ocean water crashes over the ship, and the crew members run for safety. Suddenly, a fireball explodes on the aft side of the vessel.

"Prince Zuko! The engines are damaged! We need to stop and make repairs!" Shouts the engineer. Zuko turns around and faces the blockade.

"Do not stop this ship!" Shouts Zuko determined.

"Launch!" Shouts Zhao. Fireballs burst through the clouds. Aang, Mizuki, Katara and Sokka scream and duck away. Katara, Mizuki and Sokka grip onto Appa's saddle. Appa dodges many fireballs before two collide and explode in front of him. Appa suddenly stops and Sokka is thrown from the saddle. As he's falling Mizuki jumps down to save him.

"Sokka! Mizuki!" Cries Aang out. He whips the reins down and begins a speedy descent in chase of Sokka and Mizuki.

"Grab my hand Sokka!" Shouts Mizuki as she tries to grab Sokka's hand. Sokka reaches out to Mizuki and grabs her hand, pulling himself closer to her.

"Hold on tight" Says Mizuki as she lets go of Sokka. Sokka starts screaming and clings onto Mizuki's waist. Mizuki makes a few movements with her arms, bending the water beneath her. She creates a spiral of water and uses it as a catapult, launching herself and Sokka into the air. Appa flies underneath the two and Katara grabs Mizuki's arm, pulling her and Sokka back into the saddle. Appa continues his swift flight mere feet above the ocean. Fireballs crash into the water all around them.

"You okay Sokka?" Asks Mizuki concerned.

"Y-yes" Stutters Sokka who's still holding onto Mizuki.

"I'm glad" Replies Mizuki as she pats Sokka's head.

"Ready..." Says Zhao as he holds his hand up, issuing his command. 

"Fire!" Shouts Zhao. A single catapult launches a fire blast directly towards Appa. Aang creates a powerful kick with his airbending, and the flaming boulder explodes in a large smoky blast. Aang falls back to Appa's head where Katara, Mizuki and Sokka catch him. Appa soars safely over the blockade, passing them.

"We made it!" Beams Aang happily.

To be continued

Word count: 1140