fourteen

The lake was at lest a mile wide. Bard, the boatman had introduced himself, stared the ship through the frigid waters. Despite it being late autumn and still sunny up near Mirkwood, the lake itself was covered in floating chunks of ice that bobbed along side the boat. Namir leaned slightly over the edge to watch his election ripple beneath him. His own face dark in the deep water and distorted as the boat moved on. He kept his hand over his wound. The bandages were wet with not just river water anymore and he was scared to move his hand and see blood staining his fingertips. The arrow had struck true and it would be a difficult wound to heal. (Shifting form with an injury probably had not helped either). 

"Watch out!" Bofur shouted as a huge rock loomed out of the mist. Bard gently steered the boat around it and they all peered up. It wasn't a rock but an old stone pillar. Other shapes were shadows in the mists around them and Namir guessed that they had all been apart of some old fortress on the water that had long since crumbled. There pillars the last standing stones of what had once been. 

"What are you trying to do, drown us?" Thorin accused sourly. 

Bard barely glanced at him. "I was born and bred on these waters Master dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here". 

"I've had enough o this lippy lakeman", Dwalin grumbled. "I'd say we throw him over the side and be done with it". Namir stalked across the boat to take a seat at the back nearer Bard and away from the dwarves. He found a pile of rope and turned around a few times before curling up with a soft rumbling noise.

"Oh, Bard", Bilbo groaned. "His name is Bard". 

"How do you know?" Nori called. 

"I asked him", the hobbit snapped back. He seemed cold and not in a mood to deal with the dwarves. The visible frustration made Namir smile in amusement. 

"I don't care what he calls himself, I don't like him". 

"We do not have to like him. We simply have to pay him and Namir seems to have that covered. Though were he got that gold, I have no idea", Balin muttered. "Saves us from using the last of our funds so I guess we should be grateful". 

"That cat has done nothing. Some guide", Thorin scowled. Namir rolled his eyes. The dwarves seemed to have forgotten his hearing. 

"He saved our lives in the forest and at the river", Ori pointed out. "And now he is paying for our passage". 

"I'd say we owe him", Fili spoke up. Then the dwarves fell silent as they stared out into the mist. The grey fog had cleared slightly and the shadow of Erebor above them stole the words from their throats. 

The thud of Bard's boots on the wood disrupted the moment. "Give me the money", the man demanded Namir. The skin-changer struggled to his feet, using the rails to push himself up. 

"When we have what we need and not before", Thorin stated firmly, striding closer. 

"If you all value your freedom then you will do what I say", Bard ordered. "There are guards up ahead. They all turned to see the ramshackle buildings of Laketown up a head. Between them and the town was a small platform on the water where fishing boats were gathered. Namir sighed and began ripping into the hidden pockets and pulling out the five golden coins he had promised. Bard held out his hand and they clinked as Namir dropped them into his palm. (There were at lest five more hidden in his trousers but he was not going to tell the dwarves that).

"Good", Bard nodded. "Now all of you get in the barrels and quickly". The dwarves all grumbled but began climbing inside. The man turned to Namir. "You look to be half elf. When we arrive request to se the Master. He will not turn away an elf even if you cannot pay him. Just make up a story about your sorry appearance. I shall smuggle your friends inside". 

Namir nodded. "Alright. I shall find you afterwards". 

Bard snatched up a piece of cloth from where it had been tucked under the ropes. He held it out. "Here. It's my son's shirt so it might be a bit short but it shall do. You cannot wader into Laketown barely dressed". Namir made a grumbling noise but took the shirt. It smelt like teen boy and damp. Not pleasant but not the worst thing. He gritted his teeth as he pulled it over his head, the movement tugging at his wound. He just hoped that the blood would not get on the shirt. 

Bard gave him a glance once the shirt was in place. It was too short in the length but fit around the shoulders. "Good. Just don't show your eyes. Try to tidy yourself up more, elves are never so uncouth". 

Namir gave a grumbling noise a he finger combed his hair. "Why don't I worry about getting myself in and you deal with the dwarves? Skip the Master". 

"If you think you can get past the guards then have at it", Bard shrugged as he steered the boat towards the fishermen. Namir watched as he stepped out and began conversing with one of them in low tones. He gestured at the barrels and Namir began to grin as he realised what was happening. The startled noises of the dwarves as fish filled the barrels made him laugh. 

Bard hopped back onto the barge and steered it towards Laketown. "Slow down", Namir instructed as they neared the city of rafts. Just as the barge passed by the first house, he leapt out over the water. Bard watching as his hand caught on a nearly invisible handhold and he dangled there. Namir winced at the pain in his side, panting slightly as he pulled himself up and began climbing up the side of the building with cat-like grace. "I shall meet you at your house", He whisper shouted back down to Bard below. Then he was up and pulling himself onto the roof, the man watching in confused amusement as he disappeared. 

The city of Laketown was a mess of wooden houses built haphazardly onto of each other. The roofs were unsteady and and a variety of heights. But for someone as skilled as climbing as Namir, it was easy to walk across the rooftops. Feet unnaturally balanced as he hopped from one building to another without being seen by the busy population below. His form light as an elf and with the agility of a cat as he made his way leisurely across the city. In the centre of the town was a house far larger and more ornate than the surrounding buildings. Namir couldn't resist a detour to check it out. 

It must be the home of the master of the city, during by the status of the place. Namir peered through a window and hastily ducked back as a stinky man with greasy black hair opened it and threw out the contents of a chamber pot. There was an unpleasant sounding conversation inside so Namir turned away. He climbed up to the top of the roof and glanced out over the view.  The mist did not get this high and he could feel the sun warm his face. For a second he stood still. Enjoying the freedom and the fresh air. His abdomen throbbed and he placed a hand over it only to sigh as he noticed the stain on the shirt. He had bled through his bandages.  

With a frustrated grumbled, he began to climb down and back across the rooftops towards the house that smelt of Bard. It was hard to pick out the scent amidst the fish stench of the city but it wasn't too difficult. He eventually found the place and it was easy to hoist himself down and gently tap open a window. When he swung inside, it was to the startled faces of all the dwarves, Bard and three young humans. A girl in her late teens, a boy about fifteen and a smaller girl of about ten. The dwarves were all soaking wet again and had been bundled up in blankets as they warmed up by the fire. Namir pulled the window shut behind him and straightened. "Hello". 

"Da who is this?" The youngest girl asked. "Is he an elf?"

"I'm Namir", he smiled, then put his hand to his side with a grimace a his fingers came away red. "And I think I'm about to faint". Then he keeled over and there were several shouts as arms reached out to grab him. 

unedited