68. In the Clearing

"Do you ever stop working?"

Verity stood in the doorway to George's office with her arms crossed. The sun had long since set and the woman staring at him was more than eager to call it a day.

Out of the kindness of her generous heart – as she so kindly had been reminding him ever since the shop opened that morning – Verity offered to handle closing up by herself in order to allow George and Charlie to head out early for their mother's birthday. It seemed she was just about to make her own way to the festivities when George had suddenly apparated back.

"I'm not here to work," he replied as he set down his wand and quickly began rummaging through his desk drawer.

As soon as he found exactly what he was looking for, he glanced back up to see Verity was still watching him from the door with a look of curiosity in her eyes. In all honesty, it had shocked him that his nosy friend had yet to ask what exactly he was up to, if not working.

Then a thought suddenly popped into his head.

Other than the few tests he had done on the little invention himself, he never bothered to test it out on anyone else. Maybe the spur of the moment decision to give it to Eloise two months early was a mistake. But George was quite well known for acting before thinking.

"Come over here for a minute." he said to Verity as he beckoned her over with a wave of his hand

Verity rolled her eyes but didn't object. She'd do just about any task George asked her to if it meant they could call it a night. As she crossed the small room, looked at him expectantly as he picked up the small figure from his desk.

"Hold out your hands." he nodded his head toward the arms that still remained crossed tightly over her chest.

When she presented her opened palms to him, he placed the figurine into them. When it did nothing, Verity frowned with a deep crease between her brow.

"Okay? Now what?" she asked impatiently.

"What are you thinking about?"

She huffed and rolled her eyes, "I'm thinking about how you're wasting my time when I could be at your parent's house eating cake."

"You'd rather eat cake than spend time with Charlie?" he inquired.

Asking about Charlie seemed quite out of the blue to her but she didn't have a chance to ask why he even cared because the very second his name left George's lips, the invention began flapping its wings before taking off flying a lap around the office with silver sparkling hearts left in its wake. It circled George's small office a few times before it landed back in Verity's open hands.

Although she was quite confused, Verity wasn't able to get a single word in before George snatched it from her hand and ruffled up her hair – a bright, proud grin adorning his face.