40 ◦❀◦ A Jar of Decision

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

The next day, rumors of the royal family enjoying the festival in disguise spread among the citizens, as seller man from the flee market exclaimed.

But this knowledge was yet to reach Lizzie. Done with all the work she could finish as early as possible, she walked to the garden after breakfast. With her strange behavior, her father's paranoia must have been incited that Shaw, Leendil and Graciebelle were already following when she stepped out of the room.

"Aren't you on vacation for the festival?" she asked them, as they were exiting the building.

"We'll be, on the fourth day onwards, Princess," Shaw replied.

"Leendil, won't Orna get mad? You haven't been ignoring her, have you?"

Her shy knight perked up rigidly, his ears red. He opened his mouth then closed.

"It's so obvious," she said. Revolving their duties around her had somehow bonded her maids and knights beyond work. Not that she was complaining. "Blinne tells me things too. You know, everything."

This time it was Shaw's smile that faltered. His confidence onwards was less natural. Oh? Lizzie grinned inwardly.  It seems Blinne was not telling her everything.

But Lizzie didn't pry. She continued her walk to the garden only to be met by Honey by the gate like an oversized dog.

Although with familiarity, the knights were always on high alert around the monster. Lizzie played with his mane but a lone stem of Lilia protruding at the side of his mouth stole her attention. As if Honey understood, his grin stretched and opening his wide jaw. Lizzie removed the flower from his mouth. "You have been bad Honey, weren't you?" Lizzie shook her head in disapproval, but paused.

Aside from moisture of the pet's mouth, the Lilia's stem and its bulb was still intact, so perfectly, as if it was intricately placed at the gaps between the monster's fangs. The way it was cut at the bottom was clean.

The Fenrir maybe rambunctious, but it was trained. Aside from meat, sweets and Lizzie, it had no interest towards others, even Devanti himself, if unprovoked. To pull out a lone flower with his big sharp teeth is not in the scope of the gigantic monster's abilities. It was more adept to ripping heads of any creature, as proven when the royal family took it once for the hunting ceremony two years ago. 

Lizzie's eyes darted to the garden, past the fountain and flowers. Somewhere there, Alec may be hiding or had once stayed.

Did he know her too well and anticipated her decision? Or he was just sending her a warning in her dire circumstances and lack of choice?

Or was it silent pressure for her surrender and take his offer?

Alec you sly devil... you— Lizzie took a deep breath. She bit her lower lip. The flower in her hand felt so heavy, like an obligation she chose to solve herself.

She turned around back to the palace without a word, her dispirited expression already fixed into a forced smile she knew had no crack.

"Princess...?" She wasn't certain if it was Leendil or Shaw, nor the heavy thumping on the ground with Honey's paws or the knights following after her in hurry. Lizzie just announced a bouncy, "I'm parched. Yes, I am!"

"But what about flower picking?" This time Shaw's voice was distinct by emphasized "r" in his accent.

"One is enough," Lizzie replied, still climbing back up to the palace's main door, her steps a little faster. "One... is all I need..." she repeated her voice trailing off.

Honey ran past Lizzie and waited for her by the wide open door. She squeezed a giggle, just to mask all the heavy feelings and assure the curious knights steps behind. Until finally, she reached her room. The three guards waited outside while Lizzie jumped into her bed, Honey laid beside it.

She glared at the monster and the clueless Fenrir tilted his head at his master's expression.

Although she had long known that Fenrir's has the best sensory memory, she was amazed (and annoyed) of Honey's familiarity with Alec.

For the monster that only listened to her, she was somehow betrayed. Of course Honey also spent time with Alec when they were children with a secret rendezvous in her room.

But still—"Traitor," she accused the monster who was scratching his ear with his paws.

As for Alec, a lot of questions popped in her head. How can he sneak in so easily? Sure some of the knights and servants were on holiday, but the castle's protection isn't any close to freely open. Was he still inside the castle walls? And if he could sneak in that easily, how certain that he hasn't entered her room yet?

"Shall I report him?" she whispered to the vast space of her bedroom.

Lizzie got up from her bed, stared at the Lilia she has been holding all this time. For a lady's room, all she had in her vase were Morning Screamers. Lilias, who were known to live for months uprooted was stuck in the garden. Sometimes she wondered why she planted the Lilia Alec gave her even if she was sometimes annoyed looking at it. 

She clicked her tongue. Then left her bed and slid the terrace door open. The morning breeze gently blew on her hair and her strands danced.

She glared at the garden laid out below her. Are you watching, you punk? I hope you step on Honey's poop somewhere there.

She took a deep breath. This was not the time to be vexed.

What to do.

She's yet to visit the children at the orphanage. Her proposal of special school for people with disabilities was halfway through. And Lizzie's order for jars of honeyed fruits was yet to come.

It will all be halted for a moment. Accommodating an emperor's whims takes priority. All for prosperity.

"Viva peace." It was possible that an old friend may betray her and she'd die along the way, but Lizzie closed her eyes anyway.

She placed the jar of a lone Lilia in her balcony. Tipped her head in a challenge, imagining Alec in the garden. "Now punk, your move next."

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

For Filo readers:

Baka naman gusto niyo ng drummer na hindi anak ng mafia boss, pero anak ng pulitiko. Baka gusto niyo rin ng babaeng sinungaling  na naging pipi at kyutie. May pusa rin dito.. at tuta 🙃.

Try THELIEKA.

Story link in the comsec pows. Tenk yu. 

https://www.wattpad.com/story/297338736-thelieka

com/story/297338736-thelieka