41 ◦✿◦ Peas, Berries and Eyerolls

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Lizzie waited for two days but there was no sign of Alec. As if he just vanished and played a joke.

Now on the last day of the Founding Festival, Lizzie was to visit the city orphanage. Although, it was already established before it was handed to her recently, there was a difference from a person who spent in one than a city official.

She learned from experience. More gravel instead of wood. Children with disabilities were relocated to the ground floor—never mind, she asked for all children's quarters to be on the first floor, with bigger windows.

She recalled how people tilted their heads at her reason, "It will be easier for them to escape." Then they cried when she mentioned in passing that she once lived in the orphanage back in the empire and that it burned.

She then put the things she never had in in her old orphanage into Nordis' home for the orphans.

One, they must learn to count more than ten. The still missing Red's smug face at her inability to count back then was annoying, it's probably same with the children. Lizzie, poured more budget into their education.

Two, of course food was essential. Although most dishes were simple, they were nutritious. That's where the sustainable farming comes in. The children themselves took care of the plants.

And third, the orphanage directress must really, definitely and truly sane and morally grounded. Lizzie had commanded to report any problems to her directly. This was to avoid the same situation back then when her old orphanage was burned due to lack of budget with so much mouth to feed.

With the news of her special affection for orphans, citizens nobles and commoners alike has been generous to the city orphanage. In result, more younglings were left by the shelter's doorstep.

These people should stop making children they couldn't raise, she thought, and decided for family planning as her next project.

But her family would definitely question her choices. Why would an unmarried woman spread awareness of such topic? Lizzie could feel the awkwardness just even thinking about it.

"Your Highness, are you all right?" Luppe, woke her up of her derailed thoughts.

Lizzie smiled, half genuine. Of course  she had other plans too, and marriage-related. On her honorary visit to the orphanage, she asked the aide's company. Then she dragged Garth, who was more eager to practice his new dagger as part of widening his expertise. 

She took out her best "Please, big brother." voice. Now he was grinning in front of her like an idiot. "Leave it to big brother," he'd say sometimes. "You don't have to worry, Silver."

She'd smile. She might just have to do it, leave, that is.

When they reached the orphanage at the edge of the city, she was pleasantly surprised by the flowers blooming along the road. The building, that resembled more of a summer house up ahead had small faces sticking to the windows. The eager young boys and girls cheered when the carriage was sighted.

Despite the directress, Madam Susyn's plead, the children rushed to greet the visitors, paused by the sight of Garth hovering behind the princess. The knights were also there saddled off from their horses. Lizzie elbowed the elder Norvillon to force a smile. And the latter did, but somehow, it didn't turn out quite right.

So instead, Lizzie bent her knee for a half squat and extended her hands. "Where's my hug?"

The only one brave, and the smallest, waddled her way to the princess. The princess dipped her head lower for the little girl to place the flower crown on her head.